CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY
1195 Chestnut Street
A saloon was operating at 1195 Chestnut Street, near the corner of Louis and Chestnut Streets, as early as September of 1903, when Anton Lukaszewski was the proprietor. Israel Weitzman acquired the property soon afterwards, and operated there into the 1910s. Israel Weitzman also had a bottling business known as the Union Bottling Company which operated on premises.
By 1918 Frank Wozniak had acquired the business. The Wozniak family was one of the first of many Polish families who came to America beginning in the 1880s, and settling in the area of the 1100 and 1200 blocks of Chestnut Street and Sycamore Street. Frank Wozniak ran the bar through at least 1928, and when he passed his widow, Wladyslawa Wozniak operated the establishment. By 1943 the bar was known as the Boulevard Inn. When the 1947 Camden City Directory was compiled, son Walter L. Wozniak was running the business. He is listed as the proprietor in the 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory. Walter L. Wozniak passed away in 1969. His widow, Lydia Wozniak, carried the business forward after his passing.
The Boulevard Inn was gone by the mid 1980s. Lydia Wozniak passed away in May of 2006.
|Camden Courier-Post - May 15, 2006|
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE