CAMDEN, NEW JERSEY

B & G BAR
1058 Kaighn Avenue

Pete Krause operated a tavern at 1058 Kaighn Avenue in Camden from the 1930s until at least the late 1940s. It was known for simply as Pete Krause's Tavern

Peter P. Krause was born in Rosenberg, Austria on May 33, 1898. he came to America as a young boy in 1909. By 1930 he was married to wife Jennie "Joan" Krause, and with their daughter Delores lived at 929 Liberty Street in Camden, where he was working as a pressman in a record factory. After prohibition was repealed in 1934 he got into the bar business, and was operating a tavern at 1058 Kaighn Avenue by the spring of 1935. He was still operating the bar, and was living above it in 1947. By 1959 Peter Krause had moved to 467 Raritan Street in East Camden, where he was still living in 1970. Pete Krause passed away in August of 1971. He was survived by his wife and daughter.

The 1956 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory indicates that the bar was called Cane's Tavern. It operated as such through at least 1959.  The 1964 Directory shows the building as the B & G Bar.

At some point ownership of the bar changed again, and the property at 1056 Kaighn Avenue was added.  The Yellow Pages for 1978 show Sunny's Bunny Supper Club at 1056-1058 Kaighn Avenue. Another name change took place, and by 1982 the building was known as the Sunrise Lounge.

By 1990 the Sunrise Lounge had closed. It was struck by fire very early in the 1990s and was razed shortly afterwards.

Camden Courier-Post - August 22, 1935

1983 Yellow Pages
Advertisement

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE