O. SAWYER was born in
Missouri on September 12,
1852 to Jason Wingate
Sawyer and his wife, the former Adeline Elizabeth Offferman. He was the
third of five children, coming after Charles
Augustus, and Sallie; and before Frederick O., and Emma. His mother
died on December 13, 1860. Jason Sawyer remarried not long afterwards.
His wife Emma bore five children, Harry H, Adeline, Frank Burrows, Frank
M., and Ben Sawyer.
Sawyer family had returned to Camden by the time the 1860 Census was
enumerated. They Sawyers were living at 412 Pine
Street in South Camden when the 1872 City Director was compiled.
A. Sawyer was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in June
of 1873 as an extra man with Engine Company
1 to take the place of Samuel
S. Buzine who had been promoted to Assistant Chief Engineer,
a position similar to that of Deputy Chief of Department. Charles
A. Sawyer served until April of
1876, when he was not re-appointed due to a change in politics
in the leadership of the Fire Department. He was among those
recalled the following year, and he remained a Camden fire
fighter until April of 1882.
O. Sawyer married Catherine "Kate" Jester in 1876. The
marriage produced four children, George, Adeline, Elizabeth, and
Katie. The 1878 City Directory shows the family at 611 South
7th Street. William O. Sawyer was then working for L.D. Farr as an
oilcloth printer, and followed that trade until 1894.
Sawyers were living at 916 Walnut Street when the 1880 Census was taken.
William O. Sawyer was still at 916 Walnut Street. in the spring of 1881.
The 1882-1883 and 1883-1884 City Directories show the Sawyers at 810
Walnut Street. By the end of 1884 they had moved to 901 Walnut Street.