WILLIAM G. WINSTANLEY was born in 1924 to John and Sarah Winstanley, of at
in the Poet's Row
section of North Camden.
His father, born in England, had come to the USA in 1895 and settled in North
Camden. The family lived at 421 Erie Street when the Census was
taken in 1900. John Winstanley worked in the nearby shipyards as a
carpenter and as a caulker. The Thomas Dickinson family lived next door
at 421 Erie. Son William Dickinson, born in December of 1891, grew up to operate a
garage at the point of Market
Streets for the better part of 50 years.
The Winstanley family was living at
Street in the Poet's Row
section when the 1910 Census was
enumerated. The family then included children John Jr., Mary,
Richard, Joseph and a newborn, Thomas
left the shipyards for a short time, the 1914 City Directory listing him
at 1000 Segal
Street where he operated a variety store. This did not work out, and
by September of 1918 both he and John Jr. were working as ship's
carpenter and helper respectively, at the William Cramp and Son Dry Dock
in Philadelphia. Still in Poet's Row, the family had moved to 228 Milton
Street.around the corner... and virtually through the back yard, of
Street house. The
1920 Census shows the family had added two daughters, Elizabeth and
Lydia. The 1924 and 1927 City Directories shows the family at
Street, still in Poet's
1929 City Directory lists John and Sarah Winstanley at 8 Church
Street in East Camden,
but by April of 1930 the family had returned to Burns
Street, this time at 232 Burns.
The Census of 1930 reveals that three more children, Florence, Anna, and
William, had arrived. Thomas
Winstanley, then the oldest child still at
home, was working as a
painter in one of the nearby shipyards. On November
16, 1940 he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department, where
he would served for over 30 years, retiring as a Captain on
November 1, 1972.
completing one year of high school, William G. Winstanley
enlisted in the United States Army on August 5, 1943. Returning
home after the end of World War II, William G. Winstanley went
to work as a shipfitter at the Penn Jersey shipyard in North
Camden. By the time the 1947 City Directory was compiled, his
father had passed away. William G. Winstanley was still single,
and living with his widowed mother and sister Florence at 831 North
6th Street in North Camden.
G. Winstanley joined his older brother as a member of the Camden
Fire Department on February 1, 1951. He served for almost 36
years, also retiring as a Captain, on January 1, 1987.
Winstanley lived his last years at the New Jersey Firemen's Home in
Boonton, New Jersey, where he passed away on November 13, 2013.