1914 City Directory shows William and Ada Jaeckel living with his
parents at 427 Haddon
Avenue through September of 1918. William E. Jaeckel was then
working as a case filler for Elmer Deputy, who had a business in the 100
Block of Arch
1920 Census shows William E. Jaeckel living with his parents at 726 Washington
Street. Ada Jackel was not living there, and it is possible that she
may have died during the flu epidemic of late 1918. William E. Jaeckel
was again working as a painter. Also at home were his widowed sister
Florence Genther along with Florence's daughter, Elinor. Later that
year, on August 23, William E. Jaeckel was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department. He reported for duty on September 16, 1920 with Engine
Company 9, based in East Camden at North
27th Street and Federal
Street. William Jaeckel served at Engine for over 30 years.
Jaeckel was still residing with his parents at the Washington Street
address when the 1924 City Directory was compiled. By 1927 William
Jaeckel was married and living with his wife, Emma, at 122 South
24th Street. The 1929 Directory shows they had moved to 512 Newton
Avenue. They were still at that address when the Census was taken in
April of 1930.
1940 City Directory show William Jaeckel and his wife Emma at 937 North
20th Street. He moved briefly to Pennsauken in the spring of 1942
before returning to Cramer Hill. The 1943 and 1947 Directories indicates
that they had moved to 2709 River Avenue. Fire Department records show
an address of 2209 River Avenue, this may be the result of an error in
January 4, 1951, William E. Jaeckel was detailed to Commissioner E.
George Aaron's office. On January 31, 1951 William E. Jaeckel retired on
pension from the Camden Fire Department.
Jaeckel is listed in the October 1956 and October 1959 New Jersey Bell
Telephone Directory at 1113 North
17th Street. He is not listed at that address in 1969 or in Camden
County in 1970.