WALTER DOERR JR. was the son-in-law of Christopher
L. Dietz, who came to was was then Stockton in the early 1890s. Philadelphia
Directories from 1885 through
1888 have Christopher
at 2510 Kensington
Avenue, operating a lager beer saloon.
He then moved to 160 Lehigh Avenue, where he ran a restaurant
specializing in oysters from 1889 into 1891, before moving to New
L. Dietz came to what is now known as the Cramer
Hill section of Camden by the time the 1892 Camden City
Directory was being compiled. This neighborhood and what is now referred
to as East Camden the
comprised the town of Stockton, which was annexed by Camden in the
Spring of 1899.
L. Dietz first appears in the Camden City Directories in 1892, as the proprietor
of the Union Hotel, at Union
Street and River
Street was renamed North
26th Street after the annexation, and River
Road was renamed River
Avenue, although to this day most people call this thoroughfare River
Road. This building was given the street address of 948 North
26th Street. after the annexation as well.
one block, to the corner of River
Road and Fulton
Street (present-day 1001 North
25th Street), where he founded the Crescent Bottling Company.
His daughter Catherine and her husband, Valentine Doerr
Jr., who had
come to Camden around the same time, stayed at the Union
house, where they operated a retail business selling cigars and
"notions" until 1898, when Doerr
was granted a retail liquor
license. Sadly, Valentine Doerr
Jr. passed away on October 10, 1899,
leaving his widow and young children.
before the 1896 City Directory was compiled, Christopher
L. Dietz hired John
Schimpf to work as a driver for at the Crescent Bottling Company.
John Schimpf eventually took over management and ownership of the
business, which is still at the same location, albeit in a more modern
building, in 2013. Christopher
L. Dietz passed away on September 1, 1900 at the age of 61.