THEODORE PRIMAS was born in Camden, New Jersey on December 27, 1924 to Edward and Hallie Primas. 

By April of 1930 the Primas family, which included sisters Pauline, Gladys and Garnet and brothers Melvin and Edward Emmet were living at at 2823 Mitchell Street in East Camden. The family was still there in the early 1940s. 

Theodore Primas graduated from Camden High School, a member of the class of June 1942, He played baseball with the Dunbar Athletic Club, which sponsored one of the premier amateur teams in Camden in the late 1930s and 1940s. One of his teammates was Jerome "Babe" Carpenter. Both men went into the Army, Carpenter in September of 1942, Theodore Primas on July 31, 1943. Sadly, Jerome Carpenter was killed in a training accident in September of 1943. Theodore Primas was promoted to the rank of Sergeant during his time in the Army. After leaving the Army, he returned to Camden.

Theodore Primas was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on March 5, 1947. He was promoted to Captain on April 1, 1956, and to District Chief on January 31, 1961. On January 1, 1973 Theodore Primas was promoted to the rank of Acting Chief of the Camden Fire Department. He was made permanent on July 1, 1978.

Chief Primas retired on April 1, 1981. His nephew, Melvin "Randy" Primas, was appointed Mayor of Camden by City Council shortly afterwards when Angelo Errichetti resigned in the wake of a bribery conviction.

Last a resident of Cherry Hill, New Jersey, Theodore Primas passed away on April 11, 1999. He was buried at Sunset Memorial Park in Pennsauken, New Jersey.




Camden Courier-Post
July 5, 1941






Jerome Carpenter - Theodore Primas

Camden Courier-Post
July 23, 1941

Jerome Carpenter - Theodore Primas

Camden Courier-Post * May 15, 1942

Jerome Carpenter - Theodore Primas



December 18, 1961

District Chief Primas
unidentified firefighter
Bender Brothers factory
"Manufacturers of Cotton Batting"
250 Atlantic Avenue

November 5, 1973

Spring of 1974

From Left: Unknown - Earl Robinson
Unknown - Theodore Primas