THADDEUS MARTIN BORZ was born of Polish descent in what was then the empire of Austria-Hungary. A cabinet maker by trade he came to America in 1901. Settling in Philadelphia, he wed in 1903, where his first three children were born. Son Thaddeus A. Borz was born September 4, 1904, followed by another son, Adam, and daughter Emily. Late in 1909 or early in 1910 the Borz family moved to Camden, where daughter Gertrude was born in 1910. Wife Katherine bore him one more child, a daughter named Helen, in April of 1916. When the census was taken in April of 1910, the family lived at 1177 Lawrence Street in Camden's Second Ward.
By the 1919 Thaddeus M. Borz had moved his family to the Whitman Park section of Camden, where many people of Polish descent settled, to be near their beloved beloved St. Joseph's Church on South 10th Street between Liberty and Mechanic Streets. The family lived at 1223 Chase Street, only a block away from the business he had founded The Wood Specialty Company, at 1166 Chase Street. Although struck by a fire in August of 1936, the business survived, remaining at the Chase Street location through at least 1962. Thaddeus M. Borz passed away in Pinellas County, Florida in December of 1959.
Thaddeus A. Borz worked in Camden's city government in the mid-1930's as Deputy City Clerk, and later became involved in real estate and practiced law, from offices at 1440 Mount Ephraim Avenue, from the 1940s into the 1970s. Helen Borz taught at the Bonsall Elementary School on Mount Ephraim Avenue in Camden in the late 1940s.
|Camden Courier-Post - August 1, 2936|
DAMAGES MILL IN SOUTH CAMDEN
A fire believed started by spontaneous combustion in a sawdust pile, swept through the basement and first floor of the Wood Specialty Company plant, 1166 Chase street, at 10 a. m. yesterday. Six men working in the wood shop were forced to flee as the flames reached the first floor. An alarm was sounded by a pedestrian who saw smoke issuing from a basement window.
The woodworking company is owned by Thaddeus Borz, father of the former assistant city clerk. Borz, who lives at 1223 Chase street, was out of the city. Firemen said the blaze caused damage of approximately $1000. Three companies answered the alarm and fought the flames for more than 30 minutes.
Thaddeus Borz, Jr., former city employee, said he believed the fire started through overheating of a coal stove In the basement, igniting the sawdust pile.Hundreds of spectators were attracted to the scene, and traffic was rerouted off Mt. Ephraim Avenue for several squares.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE