PHILIP ATGER STINGER was born in Philadelphia PA on April 18, 1905 to John & Blanche Atger Stinger. The family, which included older siblings John, Norman, and Dorothy, moved to Camden during the 1910s. They were living at 134 North 25th Street in East Camden by the end of 1919. The Stinger and Atger families would remain on North 25th Street for many years. 

Philip A. Stinger was working as a driver and was still living at home when the 1929 Camden City directory was compiled. His brother John was then on the police force. The 1930 Census shows Philip A. Stinger still living with his parents. He was then working as a carpenter. By 1947 Philip A. Stinger had joined the Camden Fire Department. He lived with his wife Bessie at 159 North 25th Street. The family retained a presence at that address as late as 1959. 

Philip A. Stinger was one of five members of the Stinger family who have served as members of the Camden Fire Department. By 1963 he had been promoted to Captain and was assigned to Rescue Company 1.  

Last a resident of Clementon NJ, Philip A. Stinger passed away in June of 1980.

Camden Courier-Post * August 19, 1957

Firemen Here Get Advanced First Aid Course

More than 40 members of the Camden Fire Department have completed the Red Cross course in advanced first aid according to announcement today by Howard F. Keller, Collingswood, chairman of the Camden County Chapter's first aid committee. 

Instruction sessions were under the direction of Fire Chief William V. Pfefferle, Drillmaster Anthony Dzinski, a member of the local chapter first aid group, assisted by Nicholas E. George, were instructors. Dzinski is a member of the Red Cross faculty at the National Aquatic School held in this area each year for instruction in advance safety techniques. Dick Harris, director of Red Cross safety services, supervised.

All members of the graduating class are personnel of several units housed at fire department headquarters here. These include the Headquarters Company, Engine Company 2, Rescue Squad 1 and Truck Company 1. These groups include: 

Rescue Squad: Captains Arthur Batten, Philip A. Stinger and Albert Weller; Edward Brendlinger, Harrison MacNeir, Robert Olesiewicz and James W. Smith.

Headquarters Company: Raymond Banford, John K. Voll and John W. Yates.

Truck Company 1: Captains Daniel Jiannetto, Robert E. Dukes and Otto V. Kaiser; William Watkin, Chester Gedrich, George Baxter, John Mogck, George C. Hennessy, Charles Devlin, Ambrose W. Faust, Joseph McTaggart, Howard R. Taggart, William G. Winstanley and Elmer Johnson Jr.

Engine Company 2: Captains James R. Asher, Thomas Winstanley; Carl Wirtz, James McGrory, Edwin V. Decker, James Stewart, Francis X. McTaggart, Anthony T. Orme, Mario D. Fattore, James O. Jones, Francis P. Stibi, William Hopkins, Robert E. Briggs, John Guiliano, Casper Martelli, Harold H. Pike, John J. Vane, William Stibi, John DiMaggio and Harry Kleinfelder.


Captain Philip A. Stinger, Rescue Company 1, 
& Captain James Stewart, Ladder Company 1 

Camden Courier-Post * October 5, 1966

Photo by Bob Bartosz

KNEELING to hold hose in place, firemen backed off, a moment later as rear of vacant building at 1729 Railroad Avenue caved in during three alarm blaze yesterday. Two persons were hurt. Probe of faulty fire hydrants has been asked.

From Left: Captain Joseph Wolfinger, Albert Jones, William O'Dennis

Railroad Avenue
Angelo Errichetti
Edward V. Michalak
Philip A. Stinger
Theodore Primas
Albert Jones
Kenwood Avenue
Ladder Company 2
Thomas Robinson
Engine Company 8



Thanks to Marie Gibbs Johnson for helping to create this page