GEORGE was born in Camden, New Jersey on July 29, 1922 to Paul
and Josephine George. His father worked as a butcher for the
Campbell Soup Company. Besides Nicholas the family included
older brothers William and Frank George, and a sister,
Josephine. When the Census was taken in January of 1920 he
family was living at 619 South
3rd Street. By 1924 they had moved to 548 Pine
Street. Nicholas George remained at that address through at
least the fall of 1959.
George died while serving with the United States Army in
Italy in September of 1944. Nicholas George was then in the
Army, stationed at Camp Cooke, California.
George was appointed to the Camden Fire department on January
31, 1951. He reported the next day to Engine
Company 3 at 1815 Broadway.
On June 16, 1951 he was reassigned to Engine
Company 6 at Front and Linden
May 16, 1953 Nicholas George was transferred to the Camden Fire
Department's training school as assistant drillmaster, along
with Captain Anthony
Dzinski, who was named drillmaster. Health reasons caused a
transfer to an assignment as temporary clerk at the Chief
Engineer's office in August of 1963.