Max
M.
Singer



MAX M. SINGER operated grocery stores at different locations in Camden from the 1930s through the 1960s, primarily on or near Kaighn Avenue.

Born December 14, 1893, Max Singer came to Camden after the census of 1930. The 1936 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory shows that he had a grocery at 1206 Haddon Avenue, and resided at 1501 Baird Boulevard in Camden's Parkside neighborhood. 1206 Haddon Avenue was later the home of Albert Berul's music school and appliance store, and has been the site of Lori's Records and Tapes since the 1980s. By February of 1938 he had a store at 512 Kaighn Avenue, as well as one in Mt. Holly, New Jersey.

On January 25, 1940 Max Singer opened Singer's Self Service Food Market in the 2400 block of Federal Street. His large market was an intermediate step between the traditional corner stores, and the supermarkets which would became prevalent after World War II.

The 1947 Camden City Directory shows that Max M. and Sophie Singer were living at 1249 Magnolia Avenue in Parkside, an address he was still living at in the fall of 1963. He was still operating the grocery at 512 Kaighn Avenue. A Benjamin Singer was working as clerk at the store, this appears to have been a younger brother. Max Singer would return his business to Parkside, as the 1956 and 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directories show his business at 1301 Kaighn Avenue, in the same block as his 1936 location on Haddon Avenue. 

Max Singer passed away in December of 1966. His business was taken over by William Bezhaler.

Camden Courier-Post
February 18, 1938

East Camden's Newest Food Market
Camden
Courier-Post

January 25, 1940

Click on Image to Enlarge

Camden Courier-Post
January 25, 1940

September 19, 1963

Check drawn on the
Third National Bank
written by
Mrs. Yetta Herman
and deposited at
First Camden National
Bank & Trust

 

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE