JULIA A. ASAY was born on a farm in Pemberton NJ to Charles and Rebecca Asay around 1866. A public school teacher for 44 years, she began teaching Camden in 1894, and remained with the school system until she retired in 1927. She taught at the Blaine, Rosedale, and Garfield Schools, and in 1914, she was made vice-principal of the then just-opened Cramer School. She was the first ever vice-principal of that school, which was short walk from her home at 115 North 27th Street. Julia Asay's sister, Lydia A. Asay, also taught in the Camden school system. neither sister ever wed.
A long-time member of Asbury Methodist Church, Miss Julia Asay passed away on April 19, 1950. She was buried at Arlington Cemetery in Pennsauken NJ.
lived at 115 North 27th Street
Left: 113 & 115
North 27th Street
February 27, 1904
Click on Image to Enlarge
East Camden Woman's Club
|Camden Courier-Post * February 16, 1938|
East Camden Art Section To Study Indian Crafts
Indian life, particularly their crafts, will be discussed by members of the Art Section to the East Camden Woman's Club meeting tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock, at the home of Miss Julia Asay, 115 North Twenty-seventh street.
Miss Asay, chairman of the group, has arranged the program and is instructing the members in making raffia baskets.
April 21, 1950
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE