Joshua
C.
Jefferis


JOSHUA C. JEFFERIS was active as an architect in Camden early in the 20th century. he is most noted as the lead architect in the Victor Talking Machine Company's construction program over a ten year period beginning in 1912 and ending in 1922. Two other most significant projects in Camden are the Elks Building at North 7th Street and Cooper Street, used most recently by the LEAP Academy Charter School, and the YMCA building, which stood on the south side of Federal Street, west of Broadway. He also was  involved in remodeling projects at 19 Broadway and at Kernan's Hotel at 200 Market Street, and the Collings Carriage Company building at Front Street and Arch Street. 

He was involved in the fundraising drive that culminated in the building of the Walt Whitman Hotel at Broadway and Cooper streets in 1925. 


From
South Jersey: A History 1624-1924

JOSHUA C. JEFFERIS—As one of the foremost architects and engineers of Camden, the name of Joshua C. Jefferis is well known throughout South Jersey. He was born at Camden, New Jersey, on March 11, 1878, a son of Clinton D. and Anna P. (Troth) Jefferis, respected residents of Camden, the former of whom is now deceased. Clinton D. Jefferis was a native of Salem, New Jersey, who removed to Camden and was for many years actively engaged in the shoe business.

Joshua C. Jefferis' early education was obtained in the public schools and Friends' School of the city of his birth, and Friends' Central School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, following which he entered Drexel Institute, taking a course in building construction, and was graduated with the class of 1901. For seven years prior to his graduation he had served in the offices of Thomas Stephen, beginning as an office boy. After the completion of his studies he entered the employ of Wilson Brothers and Company, architects and engineers, whose offices were in the Drexel Building in Philadelphia. His next position was with the firm of Ballenger and Perrot, with whom he remained for a period of three years in charge of the office and in the capacity of draftsman. At the end of the three years he became associated with the Vulcanite Paving Company of Philadelphia in their engineering department, and served here for three years as assistant to the manager. He opened his own office, November 1, 1908, at No. 1001 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, where he continued until September 1, 1920. On August 1, 1922, Mr. Jefferis again went into business for himself and opened his own offices on Market Street in Camden, where he has since carried on a steadily growing architectural and engineering business and has devoted himself to his profession. During the period from 1912 to 1922, he was in charge of the great building program of the Victor Talking Machine Company of Camden, in addition to running his regular office. Owing to the enormous increase in the building program of the Victor Company he thought it advisable to close his office entirely from 1920 to 1922.

Mr. Jefferis was one of the architects of the Young Men's Christian Association building in Camden. He was one of the architects engaged on the new Cathedral for Excelsior Consistory at Seventh and Cooper streets, Camden, and the new home of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. His work consists of all classes — warehouses, factories, churches, public buildings, and residences, and in the architectural planning of each he has been successful.

Mr. Jefferis is a director of the Merchantville Trust Company, which is his only business connection outside of his profession. In public life he has served as a councilman of his borough, Merchantville, where he resides with his wife and children. Fraternally, Mr. Jefferis has centered his interest in things Masonic, being a member in good standing of the Camden Lodge, No. 15, Free and Accepted Masons.

Joshua C. Jefferis married (first), December 14, 1905; Flora M. Foemmel, daughter of George H. and Elizabeth Foemmel, of Camden, both living. Mrs. Jefferis died May 4, 1915; there were two children by this union: 1. Elizabeth, born October 27, 1906, and died August 16, 1916. 2. George, born July 24, 1908. Mr. Jefferis married (second), at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 10, 1916, Clara H. Holler, daughter of Frank Holler, and they are the parents of one child: Katherine A. Jefferis, born May 14, 1918. Mr. and Mrs. Jefferis are members of the First Baptist Church of Merchantville, and are active both in the work of the church and in the social life of their community.


YMCA & ELKS BUILDINGS
Click on Images to Enlarge

YMCA
Federal Street East of Broadway
YMCA
Federal Street East of Broadway
The Elks Home on Cooper Street - 1920s The Elks Home on Cooper Street - 1920s

Construction Photos of the Elks Building, published in 1925

At left in the distance, is the R.M. Hollingshead Corporation office building and factory. The factory was destroyed in a disastrous fire in July of 1940.

 Click on Images to Enlarge

Victor Talking Machine Co. Buildings
Click on Images to Enlarge

The Victor Plant, 
Johnson Park in the foreground
Now known as Walt Whitman Poetry Center
The Victor Talking Machine Works
Home Of The 
Victor Talking Machine Company
Camden NJ
"The Camden factories of the Victor Talking Machine Company"
Viewed from Cooper St., 
Card from before 1925, 
the bridge has not been built yet 
The Victor Plant, 
Johnson Park in the foreground
Now known as Walt Whitman Poetry Center
The Victor Talking Machine Works
circa 1907
"Delaware River Bridge Connecting 
Philadelphia, Pa. and Camden N.J."
View of the RCA Plant 
&
the Delaware River Bridge
The Victor plant on Cooper Street Victor Plant on the Camden Waterfront
Prior to 1924

Victor
Talking Machine Company
Offices
Victor
Talking Machine Company
Offices

Joshua C. Jefferis was involved in the remodeling of 21 Broadway, visible at left, one of three two story buildings that lay between and pre-dated the erection of the five story Broadway Building and the four story Munger and Long Department Store. If one looks closely, the bay window on the second floor of 21 Broadway can be seen. Postcard dates from the late 1920s.


RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE