JOHN JAMES GRAHAM was born
Pennsylvania on April
27, 1912 to John James Graham and his
wife, the former Elizabeth Olive Hoffman. The family, which
included older brother Clair and younger siblings Robert and Emily was still
living in Wilkes-Barre in January of 1920. By 1924 the family had
moved to Camden. They were at 337 Chestnut
Street in 1924.
Graham was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in 1936. On
October 14, 1942 older brother Clair
"Reds" Graham, also became a member of the Camden
1940 Camden City Directory shows John J. Graham, and his wife
Gladys living at 1018 Monitor
Road in the Fairview section of Camden. The 1947 Camden City
Directory shows John J. Graham living at 603 North 35th
Graham retired in 1960 on a disability pension due to a bad neck injury that occurred on a fire.
By this point in his career he had been promoted to the rank of
District Chief, based at the East Camden fire house at North
27th Street and Federal Street.
Chief Graham retired, he moved to Florida to be with his daughter Carolyn McClure and family.
John James Graham passed away on April 15, 1995 at his daughter's house in Florida.
was another Camden Department firefighter named John Graham, who
was one of the original members of Camden's paid fire
department, entering service with Engine
Company 2 on December 7, 1869.