JOHN HAAS was a popular figure in Camden in his day. A member of all the German social clubs in the city, he is probably best remembered as the proprietor of the New Junction Hotel at the corner of South 6th Street & Bridge Avenue (39 South 6th Street). This inn was known in later years at the The Hotel Dubosq and the Aldine Hotel.
The New Junction hotel first appears in Camden City Directories in 1890. In that year it was run by Mrs. Katie Zimmerman, who lived on premises. William Zimmerman had operated a business called the Junction Hotel nearby on Haddon Avenue in 1887 and 1888. It appears that he had passed on either shortly before or shortly after the business moved. He left two children, Pauline and Edward, who was born in July of 1887. Katie Zimmerman was involved with a business called the New Junction Hotel at the corner of South 6th Street & Bridge Avenue (39 South 6th Street) by 1890. An October 23, 1894 Camden Courier obituary for John Haas cites him as being the proprietor of the New Junction Hotel. Not long after Mr. Haas' death, Katie Zimmerman married John Carrow DuBosq. By 1906 the New Junction Hotel had been renamed The Hotel Dubosq.
The Bars, Taverns, and Clubs of Camden
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE