Trenton Evening Times - June 17, 1931

Joe Montana - Roy Haldeman - Big Jim Browning - John Peek - Boris Demitroff
Cyclone rees - Lee Wykoff - Theofolis DOumas - Paul Kochansky

Camden Courier-Post - February 9, 1933

Camden Wrestler and Bride Are Are Given Dinner Attended by Notables

Above is a scene at the altar In Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, Fourth and Division Streets, as Miss Emma Palladino, of 1115. South Fourth street, became the bride of Joseph Montana, heavyweight wrestler. Rev. John Prossedo, pastor, is shown as he performed the ceremony, attended by numerous !friends and relatives of the couple.

Miss Emma Palladino, one of the fairest daughters of Camden's "Little Italy" yesterday became the bride of Joseph Montana, heavyweight wrestler, at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, Fourth and Division streets.

Idol of Italian youth in this city Montana was hailed by hundreds of them outside the church. A number of relatives and friends, including prominent figures in the legal and professional life of the city, attended a dinner in honor of the couple at Overbrook Villa, Lindenwold, following the ceremony.  

The bride, 20, is the daughter of Joseph Palladino, commercial photographer of 1115 South Fourth street. She graduated from Camden High school in 1928. Montana is 26 and a contender for world's heavy-weight wrestling diadem. Following a wedding tour through the West the couple plan to reside in Camden.

Miss Emenia D' Alesio, of Audubon, and Miss Rose Marini and Miss Cecelia Szymanski, of Camden, served as bridesmaids. Attending the groom were Gene Mariano, Michel D'Ilesia and William Palladino. The bride carried a bouquet of lillies of the valley and white roses while her attendants held tulips and roses. The church was beautifully decorated with varied floral designs, gold ribbons, silks and satins.

The guest list at the bridal dinner included: Assemblyman Frank M. Travaline, Jr., City Commissioner Clay W. Reesman, director of parks and public property; Acting Chief of Police of John W. Golden, former Prosecutor and Mrs. Ethan P. Wescott, Samuel P. Orlando, Guido Laurini, Detective Fiore Troncone, Antonio Mecca, Mr. and Mrs. William Denof, Mr. and Mrs. Pasquale Ianuzzi, Frank H. Ryan, Thomas H. Ryan, Dr. and Mrs. Robert Principato, Mr. and Mrs. William AveraIl, Luke McKenna, Mr. and Mrs. Gene Mariani, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Abbott, Frank P. Cocchiaraley and Miss Regina Cocchiaraley, all of Camden; Miss Mary Montana, and Mr. and Mrs. Ettore Montana, of Columbus OH., and Aristadimo D'Guilir and sons, Albert and Peter, of Buffalo, NY.

Camden Courier-Post - February 11, 1933

'Strangler' Slated to Meet Mazurki in Feature Bout Next Thursday Night

A heavyweight championship match will feature the Twin City Sporting Club's weekly wrestling show here at the 114th Infantry Armory, next Thursday night.  

Ed "Strangler" Lewis, recognized in New York and Illinois as world's heavyweight titleholder, is scheduled to appear in the final bout on the program, with Mike Mazurki, former Manhattan College football and basketball star, providing the opposition. It is a finish match, one fall to win, and Lewis' crown will be at stake.  

Lewis still is on the trail of the three other matmen who lay claim to the championship and is ready to face Jim Londos, Henri De Glane, and John Pesek anytime, anywhere, anyplace. All three have persistently refused to meet "the Strangler," who polished off Ray Steele in a little over 16 minutes when the latter acted as a policeman for Londos. Whether or not Mazurki can cope with the veteran is a matter of conjecture, but Mike is a game, rising youngster and may duplicate the feat performed by Ed Don George, who caught Lewis off his stride several years ago and stripped him of his world's title. 

Sammy Stein of Newark, who threw Luigi Bacigalupi here last Thursday night, comes back to meet George Hagen, former U. S. Marine Corps titleholder, in another finish match, one fall to 'win. Paul Boesch, sensational German-Jewish heavyweight, makes his first appearance in the third bout. Bill Middlekauff of Florida, will be his opponent in It 30-minute time-limit bout, one fall to determine the victor. Two other 30-minute time-limit bouts also will be presented. Mayes McLain of Pryor, Okla., who has spilled his last five foes in less than five minutes and who made his debut here last Thursday night by throwing Mike Chaplin of New .York, takes on Lilo Nardi of Italy, in the second fuss; and Dr. Fred Meyers of Chicago, meets Irving Halperin of Germany. in the curtain-raiser. One fall will decide both matches.

Camden Courier-Post - August 14, 1933

Coleman and Zaharias, Good Little Man and Good Big Man, in Mat Tiff Here
Heavyweight Grapplers Meet in Feature Bout at Grip's Arena

Whether or not a good little man can flattein a good big man will be determined tonight at Promoter Charley Grip's Pennsauken township open-air wrestling arena.

Abie Coleman of Chicago, is the little grappler referred to, while George Zaharias of Colorado, is the big man in question. They are scheduled to clash in a 90-minute time-limit bout, two out of three falls to win.

The match marks the first time the two have ,met before mat fans in this vicinity and the fact that the pair vary so greatly in physical qualities adds interest to the fuss. Coleman stands only a few inches over five feet, but weighs over 200 pounds, while Zaharias is well over six feet and tips the beam in the neighborhood of 235 pounds.

The Chicago Hebrew is one of the freaks of heavyweight wrest­ling ranks, yet he's also one of the toughest to pin. Almost as broad as he is long, Abie is endowed, with a remarkable physique and also can scamper around like a lightweight. He's well versed in orthodox wrest­ling and is exceptionally good in applying arm and leg holds.

Zaharias Mean 'Mug'

However, he meets one of the real terrors of the mat game in going to the mat with the massive Za­harias, who Is noted for his rough­ness and off-color tactics.

"Big George" gave a demonstration of his wares here last Monday night in pinning Al Hutka of Poland in less than 15 minutes. Zaharias literally smothered Hutka with his huge bulk and at the same time subjected Al to a few strangle holds and a few legitimate punches be­fore flattening his lighter foeman,

Zaharias, however, faces a far keener competition In coming to grips with Coleman. In his last match here, Abie won on a foul over the fiery Dick Raines of Texas, the latter, finding out that Abie was plenty tough, resorted to kneeing in an effort to win and was disqualified.

Coleman will be the underdog In his fracas with Zaharias due to the Greek's big pull in the weights. However, Abie also was rated as a certain loser to Raines, who scales  around 220 pounds, but the Texan found him too elusive and too tough to pin legitimately and Zaharias also may discover to his sorrow that the diminutive, but powerful Hebrew is a wily and dangerous foeman.

Coleman May Be Winner

In fact, Coleman stands a good chance of going the full distance with Zaharias without being pinned. And if "Big George" makes any false moves, Abbie will be on top of him like a flash and the massive Colorado beet farmer will find it difficult to pry himself loose once Coleman fastens himself to an arm or a leg.

Joe Montana, South Camden Italian, who has just returned from a successful invasion of the middle west and south, makes his first appearance in nearly six months when he takes on Tom Alley, of California, in the 45-minute semi-final, one fall to win. Montana, a popular favorite with Camden patrons, is likely to be pushed to the limit to win as Alley beat Karl Davis. 

Two thirty minute time limit bouts, each to be determined by one fall, complete the program. Dr. Karl Sarpolis of Glenlyon, Pennsylvania faces George Hilles of Minnesota, and Sol Schagel of Topeka, Kansas meets Jim Coffield, of Buffalo, New York.

Camden Courier-Post

August 14, 1933


Camden Courier-Post - August 15, 1933

Wilmington, Del., Middleweight, Meets Veteran Philadelphian on Friday

When Johnny Pepe, veteran Philadelphia middleweight, mingles with Joe Smallwood of Wilmington, Del. in the first half of a double-windup at· Grip's Pennsauken township open-air Arena on Friday night, the Quaker City entrant will be playing with fire.

The two are scheduled to engage in an eight-rounder which will. pre­cede the final fracas between Johnny Duca, Paulsboro "Paralyzer" and Carl Fuser, formerly of New York, but now of Philadelphia. Duca and Fuser also meet in an eight-round joust.

Pepe, who lost a hairline decision to Roxie Allen, Camden Italian, in the latter's comeback attempt here several weeks ago, may find Smallwood far more troublesome than Allen. Joe has established a great reputation in the five years he has been throwing leather.

Smallwood came to Wilmington from Washington, D.C., shortly after the advent of legalized boxing in Delaware. He started out as a preliminary boy and after three straight knockouts he was thrown into a windup with Young Johnny Ketchell, Chester middleweight who was regarded as a star.

Smallwood, according to the record book, beat Ketchell and then repeated over Tommy Rios. He enjoyed a long winning streak till he met Billy Ketchell of Millville, who held Smallwood to a draw in a sensational battle.

Last Spring he collided with Vince Dundee at Peipervllle, Pa., and dropped a close decision to the Newark Italian, who still is the outstanding contender for the middleweight championship now held by Lou Brouillard. In his last battle, Smallwood beat Jimmy Smith of Staten Island, in a great club fight.

In event that Smallwood wins a clear-cut verdict over Pepe, the Wilmington mauler may meet Dundee here as Matchmaker Lou McFarland is seriously considering staging the contest.

However, Pepe also has met the cream of the middleweights. He's a dangerous foe at close quarters and as Smallwood also likes to fight "inside," the fuss should develop into a red hot skirmish.

Four six-rounders also will be staged. Joe Montana, Camden heavyweight wrestler, makes his bow as a boxer in meeting Mickey Sullivan of Philadelphia; Marty Little of Waterford, takes on "Sonny" Carley of the United States Marine Corps; "Mush" Green and Joe Lawson, both of Camden, clash, while Frankie "Mush" Blair of South Camden, faces Lou Heinsman of Lindenwold..

Camden Courier-Post - August 19, 1933

Johnny Duca Wins Decision Easily Over Carl Fuser at Open-Air Arena
Takes 6 Out of 8 Rounds and Divides Another With Quaker City Youth


Johnny Duca, 155, Paulsboro, wins decision over Carl Fuser, 155, Philadelphia, in eight rounds.

Johnny Pepe, 170, Philadelphia, won decision over Carl Fuser, 151, Wilmington, Del., in eight rounds.

Joe Montana, 181, Camden, outpointed Mike Sullivan, 200, Atlantic City, in six rounds. 

Marty Little, 142, Waterford, nosed out Terry McGovern, 136, U. S. Marine Corps, in six rounds. 

Joe Lawson, 118, Camden, outpointed "Mushy" Green, 115, Camden, in six rounds. 

Frankie Blair, 145, Camden, and Eddie Faris, 143, Wilmington, Del., drew in six rounds. 

Referee-Gus Waldron.

Courier-Post Sports Editor

Johnny Duca, Paulsboro "Paralyzer," won the referee's decision over Carl Fuser, of Philadelphia, in the last half of a double-windup held at Grip's Pennsauken Township Open­Air Arena last night.

About 1000 fans saw the hard-hitting Italian win six of the eight rounds, lose one and spit even in another. Duca dropped Fuser for a count of nine in the sixth, a short right to the pit of the stomach sending the Philadelphian to the mat. Johnny tried valiantly to finish his groggy foe, but Fuser covered up and held on to last out the round and also remain on his feet till the bell ended the one-sided skirmish.

A straight left started the gore flowing from Fuser's nose in the first round and also had the claret streaming from the organ in the last two rounds. Johnny also opened a cut under Carl's right eye In the seventh and the Philadelphian was badly marked at the finish. Duca did not show a mark of the encounter.

Duca did not become serious till the start of the fifth, but from that time on won every round by a commanding margin. He won the second and third by a fair shade and split even in the first, with Fuser having the better of the fourth round.

The fact that Fuser refused to "dog it" after being dropped in the sixth had most of the crowd pulling for him to stick it out till the end. And although Duca belabored him with everything in the last two sessions, a body attack in both periods causing Fuser's knees to ·sag on several occasions, the bushy-haired Philadelphian fought back as well as he was able and was given a good hand for his for his gameness.

Both boys scaled in at 155 pounds.

Pepe Beats Smallwood

A 19-pound pull in the weights proved too big a handicap for Joe Smallwood, 151, of Wilmington, to overcome in the eight-round semi­final against Johnny Pepe, 170, of Philadelphia.

It was an uninteresting match, Pepe trying to fight inside with Smallwood tying him up continually. However, when Johnny did get inside he did enough damage to win five rounds.

Smallwood won the second and third rounds by a shade and split even in the second frame. The Wilmington youngster suffered a cut on the nose in the sixth.

At the weighing-in exercises yesterday, the weights of the two boxers were given as Smallwood, 156; Pepe, 170.

Making his debut as a boxer, Joe Montana, 181, South Camden's wrestler, outpointed Mike Sullivan, 200, of Atlantic City, in a special six-rounder. Montana won the first, second, fourth and sixth rounds, while Sullivan won the third round by a big margin, and also carried the fifth.

Sullivan, who had the usual roll of fat around his mid-section, made a clown fight of it. Montana, regarded as a good puncher, failed to rock Sullivan at any stage of the fuss.

Little Given Verdict

In an interesting match, Marty Little, 142, of Waterford, eked out a close decision over Terry McGovern, 136, of the U. S. Marine Corps, in the third six-rounder.

The last round decided the issue as Little had won the second and third rounds and McGovern won the fourth and fifth, while the first was even. Little was the hardest hitter and spilled McGovern in the second with a left hook to the jaw, but Terry was up before a count could be started.

Joe Lawson, 118, of Camden, outpointed "Mushy" Green, 115, also of Camden, in the second six-rounder. Lawson finished strong, winning the last three rounds along with the first. Green won the second and third rounds. The bout was marred by frequent clinches.

Frank Blair, 145, of Camden, and Eddie Faris, 143, of Wilmington, Del., fought a great draw in the opening bout of six rounds. Both boys won two rounds with two even.

Blair won the first and fourth rounds, Faris won the second and fifth, while the third and sixth were even. They stood toe to toe almost from start to finish and both were tired at the end.

Blair was bleeding at the nose at the end and Faris sported a "mouse" under the left eye,

Any decision other than a draw would have been unfair to both youngsters, who were in there to annihilate each other and who tried their best to turn the trick.  

Camden Courier-Post - February 8, 1936

Appears in Semi-Final Match at Convention Hall on Monday Night

A popular favorite here, Red Vagonne, of Chicago, has again been relegated to the semi-final post on the Convention Hall mat card Monday night, He is opposed to Cleve Welch, who hails from Toledo, Ohio. In a 45-minute fracas, one fall to decide. 

In the final bout of the evening, Joe Montana, of South Camden, and Frank Malcewicz, of Utica, N. Y., will again come together. However, should the fuss go 90-minutes with neither gaining a fall, the first mat­man to register a fall thereafter will be awarded' the decision. Still, if one or the other comes through with a fall prior to the 90-minute mark, the battle will be the usual two-out-of-three fall fuss with no time limit.

But to get back to the Vagonne-­Welch argument. The latter turned in a rough and tumble duel with Bobby Lentz here last week, and drew down the ire of the fans in disposing of his youthful rival. However, the rugged type of grappler appears to be a perfect foe for the Windy City contestant.

Last week Vagonne made a 'fool' out of Charley Grubmier before the latter was disqualified for kicking, and had the bout gone on Red probably would have shellacked him. However, with another unorthodox foe in his next bout, action should be 'hot' from the first bell. 

Two 30-minute jousts will round out the program. Johnny Silvy, pleasing Canadian, returns to meet Jose Manuel, of Cuba, while Charley Grubmier, of Kansas City, Kan., and Billy Kief, of Cincinnati collide in the curtain raiser. One fall will decide both scuffles. . .

Camden Courier-Post - February 11, 1936

Body Press Allows Pole To Triumph After 1 hour, 41 Minutes


Frank Malcewicz, the durable Pole, finally settled his lengthy argument with Joe Montana, local Italian, by pinning the latter in the feature wrestling match last night at the Convention Hall.

Before a crowd of 4000 enthusiastic fans, Malcewicz disposed of Montana with a body press after 1 hour 41 minutes 48 seconds of action, which found both contestants using every means in an effort to gain victory. 

The bout was scheduled for two out of three falls in the event that one had scored a fall during the first 90 minutes, but if neither had gained a fall during that time it was agreed that the first to 5.;ore a fall after the allotted time would win the match.

Action Slow at Outset

Action was rather slow at the outset, but the unpopular New Yorker started things moving with a hard right to the Italian's chin. Joe, although his right arm was bandaged, retaliated with a punch of the same type. 

From then on everything went. The downtowner, however, grappled cleanly and weakened the Pole with a figure 4 body scissors in five instances, but was forced to break when Frank crawled under the strands of the rope.

Malcewicz punished the Latin with a short-arm scissors. He held this  grip for five minutes before the referee detected him punching to the mid-section.

After slowing up for a short while they started peppering one another with kicks, eye gouges and rabbit punches at the one-hour mark.

Both Start Punching

Both matmen took turns body­slamming and punching at the 80­minute mark. The crowd was howling with glee as Montana tossed his rival to the canvas with rights and lefts to the head. 

However, just when it appeared as though the Utica "terror" was going under, he always rallied with a punch to the groin.

At the 90-minute mark Malcewicz had Joe in the throes of a short-arm scissors, and according to an agreement the first contestant to score a fall would emerge the winner.

The local Italian gained a figure­four body scissors and after battling for three minutes Frank struggled to his feet, falling against the ropes with Montana on his back, the New York lunged backward, bouncing Joe to the mat with a thud.

He rolled over and held Montana's shoulders to the can vas after one­hour 41 minutes 48 second of mauling.

Vagonne Pins Welch

Continuing his victorious rampage here, "Red" Vagonne, 181, Chicago idol, batted down Cleve Welch, 185. of Dayton, Ohio, in 22 minutes 59 seconds with a body press in the semi­final.

The unruly Ohioan had the "red­head" in dire straits with a series of drop-kicks, but these methods proved his undoing. On his fourth drop-kick Vagonne fell to the mat and Welch landed like & ton of bricks.

"Red" jumped on his prostrate foe and gained the nod in apparent ease. However, Cleve proved a durable matman and. excelled along illegal lines.

Kief Flattens Grubmier

In a roughhouse brawl, Billy Kief, 179, of Cincinnati, shellacked Charley Grubmier, 181, of Kansas City, Kansas, in 16 minutes 57 seconds with a body slam and body press in the opener. 

The blond victor connected with four aerial lunges before stopping the Kansan. However" the latter got in a good number of kicks before going under.

Jose Manuel, 180, a newcomer from Portugal, surprised by measuring off Johnny Silvy, 179, popular Canadian, in 10 minutes 31 seconds with a top-body scissors in the second fuss.

The mite Canadian was forced to take a terrific hammering during the joust without even staging a comeback. Jose punched, kicked and used strangleholds strangleholds without any interference from Referee Seaman.

Camden Courier-Post - February 12, 1936


Bridgeton, Feb. 12- Joe Montana, 175, of Camden, won in straight falls last night over Charley Grubmier, 181, of Kansas City, in the feature bout at the Moose Arena. More than 1000 witnessed the show. Montana win the first fall in 20 minutes 45 seconds with a figure­four body scissors, and the second in 6.02 with a body slam. 

In the other bouts Billy Kief, 179, Cincinnati, tossed John Silvy, 180, Canada, in 43.07 with a body press; Frank Malcewicz, 178, Utica, drew in 30 minutes with Reds Vagonne, 180, Chicago, and Jose Manuel, 180, Portugal, tossed Cleve Welch, 180, Toledo, in 9.05 with a headlock. 

Camden Courier-Post - February 14, 1936

Listed to Exchange Holds in Feature Battle at Convention Hall

Joe Dussette, recognized light heavyweight champion in some states, is scheduled too clash with Frank Malcewicz, of Utica, N. Y., in the feature bout at Convention Hall on Monday night. The bout is, listed for 90-minutes, two out of three falls to decide.

,In the semi-final, Joe Montana, South Camden idol, and Jose Manuel, who hails from Portugal, meet in a 45-minute duel, one fall to win.

Two other scuffles round out the program. "Red" Vagonne, of Chicago, and Billy Kief, of Cincinnati, mingle in the second fracas, while Frank Scholl, a newcomer from Germany, and Cleve Welch, of Toledo, Ohio appear in the opening bout of the night.

Camden Courier-Post - February 17, 1936

Bostonian Comes Back as Claimant to Mat Title Recognized in West


A few weeks back Joe Dussette was billed here as the Boston Strong Boy, but today he is billed as light-heavyweight champion in several Western states. Although the state of New Jersey does not recognize champions in the grappling world, Frank Malcewicz, Utica, N. Y., Pole, the titleholder's opponent here at Convention Hall tonight, can acclaim himself as the if logical wearer of the coveted honor should he dispose of his highly touted foe in their 90-minute meeting. Two out of three falls will decide the issue.

During Malcewicz's sojourn here he has bowled over plenty of leading matmen and merits the opportunity to mingle with the top-notchers of the bone-bending industry. Frank finally beat down Joe Montana, downtown Italian, last Monday, only after three hectic scuffles. The first two ended in 90-minute draws, while the "rubber" match was a tricky time-limit affair which necessitated a winner before the bout ended.

Frank Wins Third Scrap

After an hour and 42 minutes of tugging, the New Yorker handed the Latin his first reverse in many months with a backdrop, after the latter had obtained his favorite figure 4: body scissors. This maneuver cost Montana the duel, as the Pole bounded off the ropes to render his foe hors de combat with a sickening backdrop.

However, Frank will be meeting a different type of brawler when he goes into action against the new titleholder. The latter probably is one of the strongest wrestlers in his class at the present time, and once he obtains his pet full Nelson the rugged New Yorker most likely will bend his knee for the first time here.

Dussette has grappled here on two occasions, flattening his rivals in jigtime with full Nelsons, and won the admiration of the fans with his clean style of wrestling. Whether he'll a continue along those lines in his session with the "Polish Wildman" is highly improbable, and the bout may turn into a longshoreman's brawl before the finish. .

Montana in Semi-final

In the semi-final duel Montana is slated to exchange holds with Jose Manuel, of Portugal. The skirmish is listed for 45 minutes, one fall to win. Manuel stowed away Johnny Silvy here last week, although he was given free rein by the referee to use unorthodox methods. This same action may bring him Woe in colliding with the gangling Italian, as Joe is reputed to be one of the hardest hitters in this section. Two 30-minute battles round out the bill-of-fare for the night. "Red" Vagonne, of Chicago, and Billy Kief, of Cincinnati, collide in the second bout, while Cleve Welch, of Dayton, OH, and Frank Scholl, a newcomer from Germany, will open 'the show. One fall will terminate both tussles. .

Camden Courier-Post - February 17, 1936

Battle to Stalemate Second Straight Time at Convention Hall Before
Large Crowd; Vagonne Victor
as Grubmier Is Disqualified


For the second straight time, Joe Montana, local grappler, and Frank Malcewicz, the Utica "terror", battled to a draw in the feature wrestling match at the Convention Halll last night.

Before one of the largest crowds of the indoor season at the civic hall, the two grapplers went the entire route of 90 minutes without either able to gain a fall.

In their previous scuffle, which, also ended in a draw, each managed to gain a fall over the long route but were unable to score the deciding fall.

As was expected the two behemoths waged a rough battle along unorthodox lines, although on several occasions they managed to settle down and return to wrestling. Forearms, kicks and punches, however, was displayed by the two during the major portion of the fuss.

On several occasions each had chances of throwing their opponent, but the intended victim always managed to wriggle loose and avert a fall.

Malcewicz Gets Rough

The Utican, as anticipated, started the roughhouse work in the early stages, connecting solidly with a right to the chin, followed with a couple of finger splits. and eye gouges.

Fists flew promiscuously with the Italian featuring along this style of attack. Yet the New Yorker evened matters with two hard kicks to the groin.

At the 40-minute mark, Ma1cewicz nearly pinned Montana with a short arm scissors. He held this grip for fully five minutes, losing out when he started to roll and falling victim to a leg head scissors. However, the Pole broke this by punching to the mid-section.

They continued to maul one an­other and at the one-hour junction, hostilities were about even.

Malcewicz Nearly Pinned

The down towner procured a figure four body scissors, but lost it after three minutes when Frank squirmed underneath the ropes. However, Joe secured a body scissors and strange as it seems both gladiators had wrestled for a short time without an unorthodox move.

It proved too good to be true, as the Utican resumed his illegal warfare. But this turned out to be a bad move, for Montana whaled him all around the ring. Joe hurled him out of the ring on two occasions, but lacked the finishing tactics.

Vagonne Pins Grubmier

After a wild skirmish, "Reds" Vagonne, 180, popular Chicagoan, won via the disqualification route from Charley Grubmier, 181, of Kansas City, Kan., after 38 minutes 50 seconds of wrestling in the scheduled 45-minute semi-final.

Referee Simborn halted the rumpus after the Kansan used a number of strangle holds and kicks to the face. However, while the fuss lasted Vagonne had much the better of the going, and made a fool of his opponent with the ropes. He wrapped Grubmier in the strands on four occasions and each time he was well wrapped.

"Reds" entered the ring with a heavy bandage circling his head, while his foe sported a piece of adhesive tape over his left eye. The former had his ear lanced earlier in the week, and took a big chance in going through with the bout against his adversary.

Silvy and Kief Draw

In a clean, clever match, Johnny Silvy, 179, the trapeze artist. from Canada, and Billy Kief, 181, of Cincinnati, grappled to an exciting 30­minute draw.

Both gladiators charged at top speed, and drew the plaudits of the crowd on numerous instances for , their sportsmanship. Neither appear­ed to have an edge, and pleased the house with their hustle and bustle.

Cleve Welch, 185, a tough hombre from Chicago, easily flattened Bobby Lentz, 180, of Dayton, O. in 18 minutes 49 seconds with a drop kick and body press. It was the cur­tain raiser.

The Windy City matman proved too tough for his younger rival but was forced to kick and punch throughout before grabbing the decision. Three drop kicks, four rights to the whiskers and a hard toss from the ring cinched the battle for Welch.

Camden Courier-Post - February 17, 1936


Joe Montana, Camden, drew with Frank Malcewicz, Utica, N. Y., in 90 minutes.

"Red" Vagonne, 180, Chicago, Won by disqualification over Charley Grubmier, 181, Kansas City, Kan. Time, 38 minutes 50 seconds.

Billy Kief, 181, Cincinnati, drew with Johnny Silvy, 179, Canada, in 30 minutes.

Cleve Welch, 185, Columbus, 0., pinned Bobby Lentz, 180, Dayton, 0., with body press. Time, 18 minutes 19 seconds.

Referee, Frank Simborn. .

Camden Courier-Post - March 5, 1936