AUGUSTUS RICHARDSON was born in Henderson, North Carolina on
February 24, 1896 to Bois and Marie Richardson. The family had
come to New Jersey by 1903, when sister Bernetta was born. The
1906 City Directory shows the Richardsons at 250 Division Street
in South Camden. Bois Richardson then worked as a laborer.
A. Richardson was living with his mother and father at 412
Cherry Street in South Camden when he registered for the draft
on June 5, 1917. He was then working as a janitor for the Camden
Board of Education. James A. Richardson married shortly
afterwards and was living elsewhere by January of 1920. The 1924
City Directory shows him at 821 Mount Vernon Street, working as
a porter. By the end of 1928 he had moved to 816 Mount Vernon
1930 Census, taken in April of that year, shows James A.
Richards, his wife Ruth and their six children, Euva, Althea,
Leatrice, James, Morton, and Tignell, residing at 816 Mount
Vernon Street in South Camden. James A. Richardson was then
working for the City of Camden as a truck driver. He was appointed to the Camden Fire Department
on December 22, 1930. he reported for duty with Engine Company 1
on January 1, 1931 and spent his entire career as a firefighter
with this unit, quartered at 409 Pine
A. Richardson was living at 1142 Baring
Street in 1931, according to Camden Fire Department records.
The 1940 Camden City Directory and the 1956 New Jersey Bell
Telephone Directory both show him at 1132 Baring Street.
A. Richardson was promoted to Acting Captain of Engine Company 1
on May 23, 1953. His appointment was made permanent on May 26,
1954. James A. Richardson was living at 1143 Baring street when
he retired on pension on September 1, 1958.
A. Richardson is not listed in the 1959 New Jersey Bell
Telephone Directory. By October of 1970 he had moved to 505 East
Madison Avenue in Magnolia, New Jersey. James A. Richardson
passed away in April of 1971.