IRWIN F. HUNTZINGER
South Jersey: A History 1624-1924
I R W I N F. HUNTZINGER — Known throughout South Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland as "the Appellate Printer," Irwin F. Huntzinger, proprietor of a large and thriving linotype printing plant in Camden, has made a unique and enviable place for himself in the business world. He is now practically retired from active business life, but continues to enjoy the high regard of the innumerable friends he has made in business circles, as well as of the community-at-large. He is the son of Samuel M. and Harriet (Erdman) Huntzinger, the father a surveyor, born in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, in 1846, who in the discharge of his professional duties laid out the boundary lines of Schuylkill, Northumberland, and Cumberland counties during the dispute between these counties over their original land grants. The mother, born in Schuylkill County, lived to the age of seventy-seven, dying in 1923.
The Huntzingers have in their family annals many traditions centering about the printing trade, and there has been at least one printer in every generation for centuries. The first photographic plate ever used in printing was invented in Germany by a Huntzinger. With such fine old traditions behind him it is small wonder that Mr. Huntzinger has not been content to be an ordinary printer, but has made a very special contribution to the field in addition to maintaining the highest standards of craftsmanship and service. Records of the Huntzinger family in America go back for six generations, and during this long period most of the family have made their home in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, where the original settlers located. These were two brothers, John George and Bernard Huntzinger, who came from Alsace- Lorraine in 1743, going first to Rotterdam, Holland, and sailing from there for the colony of Pennsylvania on October 12 of that year on the ship "Jacob," of which Adolph de Grove of Shields, England, was captain.
There were two hundred and ninety passengers on board the ship and nearly all were Palatines. There has been some doubt in regard to the nationality of the founders of the Huntzinger family, due to the frequent disputes between France and Germany over the province of Alsace-Lorraine, but it would seem that the province was in the hands of the French when the brothers set out for America.
John George Huntzinger was the founder of the family in this country, as Bernard left no descendants. The Huntzingers settled near Schuylkill Township, among the so-called Pennsylvania Dutch, where most of the succeeding generations continued to live. During the Revolutionary War one of the Huntzinger family enlisted as a scout in Washington's army and was killed near Clementon, Gloucester County, New Jersey, where his grave and headstone may still be seen on the crest of the hill back of the Clementon Railroad Station. At the time when John George Huntzinger came to America the portion of Pennsylvania in which he located was wild open country, and he was one of the first settlers there. Following is the genealogy of the Huntzingers in America in direct line to Irwin F. Huntzinger, of Camden:
(1) John George Huntzinger, who had nine children, of whom Jacob was the ninth; (2) Jacob, father of ten children, of whom George was the first; (3) George, father of eleven children, of whom Joseph was the fifth; (4) Joseph, father of nine children, of whom Samuel M. was the sixth; (5) Samuel M., father of eight children, of whom Irwin F. was the first; (6) Irwin F. Huntzinger.
Irwin F. Huntzinger was born in Schuylkill, May 24, 1871, and received his education in Hegins School, Schuylkill. At the age of eleven he began work in the mines, and two years later entered a newspaper office, serving a three years' apprenticeship in two newspaper offices, the "Mount Carmel News" and "The Item," both of Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania, after which he came to Philadelphia and worked for several months on "The Philadelphia Times." His next position was with the electrotype manufacturing concern of Wescott & Thompson, for whom he worked for several years, also doing special writing for "The Philadelphia Call" during this period. After such a thorough and varied experience in printing and allied trades, he was well equipped to launch out in business for himself, and this he did in 1902 at Camden, opening what was then the only linotype composition plant in South Jersey.
From the beginning the business was on a sound and growing basis, and by 1915 it was necessary to move into greatly enlarged quarters. In 1916 it was incorporated with Irwin F. Huntzinger as president, B. C. Burroughs, secretary and treasurer, Herbert Richardson, solicitor, and Joseph M. Daugherty, general manager. Mr. Huntzinger began specializing in appellate printing very shortly after he started the business and is widely known as "the Appellate Printer" because his facilities for handling this sort of printing bring him the business of over five hundred Philadelphia lawyers, to say nothing of hundreds of others from all over South Jersey and even neighboring States. He attributes his success in this line to the fact that he has special methods of handling appellate printing, whereby two men in his plant can do as much work in eight hours as twelve men in any other plant could do in the same amount of time. Mr. Huntzinger is a member of the Camden Chamber of Commerce, is former treasurer of the Automotive Collateral Company of Camden, and fraternally is affiliated with Lodge No. 293, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Mr. Huntzinger married, at Camden, in October, 1906, Elizabeth G. Boggs, of Delaware County, daughter of Ruth Boggs. Mr. and Mrs. Huntzinger make their home in Collingswood.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE