Hugh
Morgan
Hatch


HUGH MORGAN HATCH was born in the Delair section of Pennsauken NJ on April 14, 1873 to Hugh Hatch and Caroline Stone Hatch. His father had been a  truck farmer, and later successfully engaged, with his brother Joseph, in the brick business, before dying in 1924 at the age of 90. Hugh Morgan Hatch was also the nephew of Cooper Browning Hatch, who served as Mayor of Camden NJ from 1898 to 1902 and as the Sheriff of Camden County from 1908 to 1911.

Hugh Morgan Hatch was educated in local schools in Pennsauken. He then spent three years at the South Jersey Institute in Bridgeton NJ, and a year at Penn Charter School in Philadelphia. After a trip to Europe he attended Pierce Business School in Philadelphia, before joining his father in the brick business in Camden. Involving himself in politics as a Republican, he was elected Pennsauken Township Collector of Taxes in 1897.

On October 3, 1900 Hugh Morgan Hatch married Mary Pauline Gilmore, the daughter of Civil War veteran and well known hymn-writer Dr. Henry Lake Gilmore. A son, Paul Gilmore Hatch, was born in November of 1907.

In September of 1911, he entered into a partnership with J.R. Mick to operate an automobile dealership in Camden. The business, N.J. Auto & Supply, was primarily a Buick agency, but also sold Cadillac, Peerless, Hupmobile, Ford, and Pontiac autos at different periods through the 1920s. In 1916 the partners erected a new building on Delaware Avenue, where the business remained through February of 1942, when the agency was moved to the southwest corner of Federal Street and Wright Avenue. The business was sold to the Masson family in the 1950s, who, operating as Masson Buick, remained in Camden into the 1970s before moving to Route 70 in the eastern section of Cherry Hill NJ. In the 1930s he was also involved in banking in Merchantville.

Hugh Morgan Hatch and family were residing in Moorestown, New Jersey by 1930 and were still there when the census was taken in 1940.


CarDealers/CamdenNJ-NJAutoBuick-5.jpg



N.J. Auto Buick- February 1942
Click on Images to Enlarge



SOUTH JERSEY: A HISTORY 1624-1924


N.J. Auto Buick at Federal Street and Wright Avenue
February 2003
The Sears-Roebuck Building is visible in background
Click on Images to Enlarge


Philadelphia Inquirer - November 13, 1911

...continued...
Charles G. Garrison
Cooper B. Hatch
Dr. Frank O. Stem
John B. Adams
William A. Butcher
Dr. Francis J. Bicker
Samuel Brick
George Blatherwick
Edward Bakely
John W. Croft
Alfred Clement
William B. Carson
Dr. Frank B. Cook
John Hull
Hugh Morgan Hatch
Rev. Dr. Edmund B. Kulp
George P. Kroecker
Joseph P. Lucas
Harlan S. Miner
James G. Pidgeon
Morton J. Pennock
George W. Swope
William Stem Jr.
George Schleinkopfer
William H. Whalan

1915 Patriotic Order of he Sons of America
program ad

J.R. Mick - Hugh Morgan Hatch


Camden Courier-Post * June 16, 1932


Hugh Morgan Hatch
E.E. Shumaker
Harold S. Bottomley
Grover C. Richman
Steward C. Holman
Frederick L. Holman

Walter J. Staats
George P. Kroecker
Joseph P. Lucas
Harlan S. Miner
James G. Pidgeon
Morton J. Pennock
George W. Swope
William Stem Jr.
George Schleinkopfer
William H. Whalan









RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE