W. HIMELSPARK, was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in
May of 1874 to replace Joseph
J. Nece Sr. as an extra man with Engine Company
2. He served until April of
1876, when he was not re-appointed due to a change in politics
in the leadership of the Fire Department.
W. Himelspark appears to have come to Camden from Philadelphia
in the early 1870s with his brother Adam. He was living at 214 Erie
Street in North Camden and working as a machinist when he
was appointed to the Fire Department. He was still living at
that address as late as 1882, which is the last year that he
appears in Camden's City Directories. He appears to have made an
attempt to go into business as a produce dealer in the late
1870s. The 1878-1879 City Directory shows that he was engaged in
that line of business at stalls 37 and 38 in the new market,
which was on Federal Street east of Fifth Street.
Himelspark returned to Philadelphia, where he was living and
engaged in business in 1890.
Himelspark married a girl from Camden, and was living on State
Street when the 1880 Census was taken. He also had moved back to
Philadelphia by 1890.
TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE