H. HUNT was born in March of 1873, probably in Gloucester City, New Jersey,
one of 10 children of James H. Hunt and his wife Mary. The family had
moved to Camden 416 Pine Street by April of
1877, where they shared a
home with James Hunt's brother George S.
Hunt. Both brothers served as
members of the Camden Fire Department from 1877 through 1882. By 1878 the
James H. Hunt family moved to
819 Kaighn Street (which was renamed Dauphin Street by 1881) in Camden, where
James H. Hunt in time became involved in local politics, and over the years held
a number of positions. By 1894 James H. Hunt, then the Fish Warden, and his
family was living at 316 Line
Street. The 1895-1896 Camden City
Directory shows George H. Hunt, who worked as a laborer at 324 Division
Street. He had married and started a family. The 1898 City Directory
shows George Hunt and his wife Amelia at 814 South 2nd Street. They had
moved across the street to 817 South 2nd Street the following year.
the 1900 Census was taken three of George Hunt's younger siblings were then living at
his parents home, younger sisters Theodosia
and Katherine and younger brother Eli
Hunt. Two other siblings had moved out, sadly, four of the Hunt children had
by then died. When the census was taken in 1900 James Hunt was then a constable in
Camden, a political appointment not without a measure of local
1900 Census shows that George H. Hunt was living at 340 Division
Street with his wife of six years, Amelia Hunt, and their three children,
James, 4, Theodosia, 2, and the newborn Charles J. Hunt. The
family had moved to 327 Cherry
Street by 1906, George Hunt then still
working as a laborer. The marriage, however, apparently ended around
1909, the Hunts were not living together when the Census was taken in
1910. He was appointed to the Camden Fire Department at some point after
the compilation of the 1906 Directory and before May 2, 1910 when the
1910 Census was enumerated, very probably through the political
influence of his father. His sister, Theodosia,
was also in time politically active. As of this writing it is unclear as
to exactly when George H. Hunt began serving with the Camden Fire
Department. It is known however, that he began serving with Engine
Company 1 on March 2, 1910, replacing James
Lewis, who had resigned to join the police department.
Hunt married coal
and ice merchant Joseph Henry Conaghy sometime after 1900. The 1906 City Directory shows the
Conaghys living at 246 Pine
Street, where Joseph Conaghy also conducted his business, the Eagle
Ice & Coal Company. The
1910 Census shows that Joseph Conaghy had gone into the tavern
business. He was then operating a bar at 601-603 Kaighn
Avenue, where he
and Theodosia made their home, they later operated a bar known, appropriately enough,
as Conaghy's, at 950
5th Street.. Younger brother Eli Hunt was then serving in the United
States Navy, he too would join the Camden Fire Department after his
military service had been concluded.
Camden City Directories show George Hunt still living at 327 Cherry
Street. The 1914 Directory lists George Hunt at 713 South 4th
Around 1918 George Hunt remarried, his new wife being named Louise. The
couple resided at 340 Line Street when the Census was taken in January
of 1920, next door to Victor Biasi and family at 338. By 1924
George and Louise Hunt had moved to 342 Line
enough by that time Victor Biasi had moved to 344 Line
Hunt was a junior captain at Engine Company 7 in the mid-1920s. He was
promoted to senior captain on April 4, 1928. On that same date, brother
Eli Hunt, then a driver at Engine Company
3, was promoted to junior
Theodosia Hunt Conaghy
was widowed in the early 1920s. In
1923 the widowed Mrs. Conaghy was appointed to the position of matron at
the Camden County Jail, adjacent to the courthouse at Broadway and
Federal Streets. She held that position for 27 years, retiring in
1950 at the age of 75. She passed away in December of 1957.
brother Eli Hunt was also a career Camden Fire Fighter. Both Eli and
George Hunt had reached the rank of Captain by the spring of 1930.
George Hunt retired from the Fire Department in late 1930 or early 1931. Eli
Hunt retired from the Department by 1942. Eli Hunt
registered for the draft in April of 1942, but he is not listed in the
1943 Directory, he may have passed away by this time.
Hunt and his wife Louise were still at 342 Line Street when the 1947
City Directory was compiled.
nephew, Eli E.
Conaghy, was a longtime Camden resident, an iron worker and
veteran of World War II, having been drafted at the age of 42.