G. FRANK TRAVIS was born Giuseppe F. Travascio in Italy in July of 1861. Originally a tailor, he came to the United States in 1885 and followed that line of work for almost twenty years. In the late 1880s he married Julia Capelli. The family was living in Philadelphia at the time of the 1900 Census, and had been blessed with six children, Agnes, Rosa, Adelena, Joseph, Frederick, and Lydia, all but Lydia still alive when the Census was taken. A son, Albert, was born in 1901.
G. Frank Travis brought his family to Camden shortly after the Census.
The 1901 Census states that his home was still in Philadelphia, but
that he was working as a cloth cutter for Harry A.
Nutt, who had a tailor shop at 413 Market Street. By the time the 1902
Directory was compiled, G. Frank Travis had moved to 443 North 9th
Street and had opened up a tailor shop with Michael A. Priore as
"Travis & Priore" at 425 Market Street. The Travis family remained at 443 North 9th
Street as late as 1904. By the time the 1905 Directory was compiled, G.
Frank Travis had moved his clan to 320 Spruce Street, in the heart of
Camden's "Little Italy".
In 1910 G. Frank Travis had a building erected at
849 South 3rd Street, the corner of South 3rd and Spruce Streets. This
building was known as "The Travis Building" and also as Columbus Hall.
G. Frank Travis ran his steamship ticket agency and undertaking
business from this address, and his bottling business from 320 Spruce Street.
CAMDEN, N. J., April 13, 1906
DEAR SIR AND BROTHER:
You are requested to attend the regular Stated Meeting, April 18, 1906, at 8 o'clock, at which time the following named applicants for membership will be balloted for:
Attest: J. FRED.
ALEX. J. MILLIETTE,
|Philadelphia Inquirer * January 13, 1907|
|Antonio Mecca - G. Frank Travis - David H. Goff - Marco Marino - William B. Knight|
Philadelphia Inquirer - October 13, 1911
of Columbus - First Italian Republican League
Louis Bantivoglio - G. Frank Travis - Charles H. Ellis
South 4th Street - South 3rd Street & Spruce Street
Columbus Beneficial Association - Columbus Hall
Catholic Lyceum - Rev. Joseph Egan - William T. Boyle
|Camden Post-Telegram - May 7, 1914|
SAND OUT AFTER 37 YEARS
After thirty-seven years in the saloon business, William F. Sand last night had his license at 571 Haddon Avenue transferred to James D. Thompson. “Billy” Sand, in point to consecutive years of service, was the oldest dispenser of liquor in the city, and one of the best known. James D. Thompson is a son of John Thompson, who, for a number of years, had a saloon ant Second and Chestnut Streets and later at 306 Federal Street. The young Mr. Thompson is widely known in athletic circles, very popular and his management will no doubt be all that a licensed place should be.
Other transfers granted are:
Elizabeth J. Middleton, 451 South 3rd Street, to James Monahan.
Benjamin Klein, 817 Broadway, to Harry Galbraith.
Wilhelmina Foehl, widow of Gottlieb Foehl, 1041 Cambridge Avenue, to her sons, Jon and William Foehl.
William F. Turner, 806 Kaighn Avenue, to George N. Ware.
An application from Koeton Oleswicz for the right to sell at wholesale at 1152-54 Atlantic Avenue was refused.
A communication was received from the Camden Retail Liquor Dealers Protective Association placing itself on record as being opposed to gifts on Christmas.
Philadelphia Inquirer - November 11, 1914
Harrison Avenue - Alfred Cramer Jr. - Rudolph Detweiler
Charles W. Lang - Frank H. Smith - Mary Facht
G. Frank Travis - Joseph Palese
Rocco Fanelle - Domenico A. Loscalzo
|Many Thanks to Paul Schopp for his help in creating this page.|
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE