Frank
Kuda


 

FRANK KUDA was born in Camden, New Jersey on July 27, 1892 to Joseph and Lena Kuda. His father had come to America in 1890. The 1899 City Directory shows the Kuda family at 709 Jane Street, a small street that ran south from 1062 Line Street for one block to Pine Street. The Kudas soon moved to Camden's Centerville section, where they remained into the 1970s. The family was living at 1841 Mulford Street when the 1906 City Directory was compiled.

When the Census was taken in 1910 Frank Kuda was living with his parents, older step-brother Joseph Caster, brother George and sister Mary at 1841 Mulford Street. His father's occupation was given as farmer, there were at that time small farm south of Ferry Avenue near Mulford Street in what was then called Sweet Potato Hill. 

Frank Kuda appears in the 1914 Camden City Directory, working as a laborer and living at 1841 Mulford Street. His father is not listed and may have by this time passed away. Frank Kuda was living with his mother at 1821 Tioga Street when he registered for the draft on June 5, 1917. He was then working as a dyer at the R.H. Comey Company plant on Jefferson Avenue and the railroad tracks east of South 6th Street.

When the census was taken in January of 1920 Frank Kuda had returned to 1841 Mulford Street, where he lived with his mother, brother George, and younger sister Mary, who had married James Whitehead, a truck driver. Also living at the address were the Whiteheads two daughters, Madeline and Anna. Frank and George Kuda were then working together at a paper mill.

Frank Kuda married around 1921. By 1924 he and his wife Catherine had moved to 1869 Mulford Street. By January 1, 1927 he had been appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He served at Ladder Company 4, South 10th And Morgan Streets, through April 9, 1928 when he was transferred to Engine Company 8.

The 1930 Census shows him living with his wife Catherine and sons Frank, Joseph, and Albert, at 1869 Mulford Street. Fire Department records indicate that he was still at that address in 1931. Before the 1930s had ended, the Kudas had moved to 1875 Mulford Street

Frank Kuda continued to served with the Camden Fire Department as late as the spring of 1942, when he again registered for the draft. Frank and Catherine Kuda were then living at 1875 Mulford Street. It is unclear as to when Frank Kuda left the Fire Department. The 1947 Camden City Directory gives no indication of current occupation.

Frank Kuda was still listed in the New Jersey Bell Telephone Directories as late as October of 1959 at 1875 Mulford Street. By the fall of 1970 he had moved to 1841 Tioga Street. Last a resident of Gloucester City, New Jersey, he passed away in July of 1973.

World War I Draft Card

World War II Draft Card

RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE