E. R.
Morehouse



ELIJAH RICHARD MOREHOUSE  was born in Camden, New Jersey on February 2, 1884 to Elijah R. Morehouse Jr. and his wife, the former Jennie Tice. His father was a tugboat captain for the Pennsylvania Railroad, his grandfather Captain Elijah R. Morehouse Sr. had also captained a ship for the Pennsylvania Railroad and briefly served with the Camden Fire Department, and his great-grandfather, David Morehouse, had been a ships captain while living in Perth Amboy, New Jersey in the 1840s and 1850s. Sadly, his father died when E.R. Morehouse was quite young. His mother remarried, and the 1900 Census shows E.R. Morehouse living with his mother and her new husband, Joel Mason, in Morrisville, Pennsylvania.

E.R. Morehouse married around 1907. He and his wife Mary were living with his aunt, Ada Tice, at 494 Newton Avenue when the Census was taken in 1910. His occupation is listed as "bridge builder". 

E.R. Morehouse appears in the 1920 Census as a bachelor living at 1361 Park Boulevard, at the home of his aunt, Ada Tice. He listed is occupation as superintendent for a contractor. 

E.R. Morehouse incorporated his construction business in 1921. By July of 1926 he had set up shop at 315 Market Street in Camden. The Morehouse firm specialized in heavy construction, and worked on piers, pile driving, dock work, bridge construction, asphalt and concrete paving,  sewers, and railroad work. The company played a large role in the building boom in the 1920s in Camden and the near suburbs. One of the firms early jobs was the placing of a pipe to capture and cover over Baldwin's Run, in East Camden.  In the 1930s his firm built the high-speed line railway tracks over the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. 

E.R Morehouse married in the early 1920s, and a son Elijah Richard Jr., was born in September of 1927. E.R. Morehouse appears again in the 1930 census, under the name Richard Morehouse, as a self employed contractor living in an apartment at 121 North Third Street with wife Helen Anne and son Richard. The Morehouse family later moved to 422 East Kings Highway in Haddonfield NJ. By 1936 the firm had moved to 1400 Pine Street and his son, E.R. Morehouse Jr., was working as vice-president of the firm.

Besides Masonic affiliations, E.R. Morehouse Sr. was a member of Elks Lodge 293 in Camden, the Camden Shrine Club, and the Ninth Ward Republican Club.

E.R. Morehouse Sr. passed away at St. Josephs Hospital in Philadelphia on September 5, 1956.


Camden Courier-Post

July 5, 1926

Click on Image to Enlarge


Camden Courier-Post

June 1, 1932



Camden
Courier-Post

July 5, 1926

Click on Image to Enlarge

PENNSAUKEN AGREES ON COSTS OF SEWER
Township Committee and City of Camden
Settle Old Dispute

An agreement was reached last night by the Pennsauken township committee with the city of Camden on its share of the costs of the Baldwin's Run sewer.

At an adjourned meeting the committee approved on final reading an ordinance covering the agreement. The sewer was built about eight years ago.

The committee also approved a report of a commission on assessments for a storm sewer from Elvena to Laurel Avenue in the Camden Villa section.

George W. Norton, 3719 Drexel Avenue, was granted a retail beer permit for 6712 Sinkinson Avenue.

Albert Fink and L. Cannon were named special officers. 

Camden
Courier-Post

July 6, 1933

 


Camden Courier-Post

March 12, 1930

Click on Image to Enlarge


RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE