DR. WESLEY JOHNSON BARRETT was born in Guthriesville, Pennsylvania on May 20, 1874. He graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science in 1896, and from Hahneman Medical College in Philadelphia in 1901. He first turns up in Camden City Directories in 1897, working as a drug clerk and living at 217 South 6th Street. The 1898 Directory has him living at 601 Berkley Street.
Dr. Barrett appears in City Directories from 1902 to 1907 at 442 Broadway. From 1908 through the fall of 1918 his home and office was at 510 Broadway. Shortly before the 1920 Census he moved to 606 Cooper Street, where he kept his home and office at through 1924. By the time the 1926 City Directory was compiled, Dr. Barrett had moved to 217 Wayne Avenue in Haddonfield, New Jersey. He kept his medical office in Camden, at 517 Cooper Street.
Dr. Barrett's primary concern was surgery. His career took him to the position of Chief of Surgery at West Jersey Hospital. Dr. Barrett was a member of the Camden County Medical Society, Camden City Medical Society, American Medical Association, West Jersey Medical Society, and the Homeopathic Society of New Jersey. He was also Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Barrett was president of the Camden County Medical Society in 1930
Dr. Barrett was also involved with the Camden Copper Works, originally on South 5th Street, at Washington Street, and later at 559-609 South Second Street. The business was incorporated under the laws of New Jersey in 1912 for $50,000 fully paid, with Bernard Ahlberg, the founder, as president and manager; Dr. Wesley J. Barrett, secretary, and Walter E. Ahlberg, the founder's son, as treasurer. These also constituted the board of directors.
Barrett was married to Sarah M. Steedle. They had three daughters,
Frances, Grace, and Ruth. Dr. Barrett passed away in 1934. Mrs. Barrett
was still living at the Haddonfield address as late as 1947.
|Camden Courier-Post - September 10, 1928|
B. Dellmuth - Dr. Elliott
Schull - Dr.
Wesley Barrett - Edward
Samuel M. Shay - C. Howard Hunt Pen Company
Trimble Lodge No. 117, F&A. Masons - Camden Rotary Club
Camden Lodge No. 293, B.P.O. of Elks
|Camden Courier-Post - June 15, 1932|
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE