DR. JACKSON KEMPER BRYANT was born in Philadelphia on December 18, 1832. After graduating from the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia in March of 1856, he set up practice in Newark DE. While in Delaware he married a local girl, Caroline Baker Colmery, on September 1, 1859
The June 1860 census shows Dr. Bryant and his wife Caroline, then 20, as living in Newark DE. By 1864 the Bryant family had moved to Camden NJ. The 1870 Census shows Dr. Bryant, his wife and four children in Camden's Middle Ward.
Trained as a homeopathic physician, in 1875 Dr. Bryant was one of twelve homeopathic physicians in Camden. The other doctors were Purnell W. Andrews, James H. Austin, Thomas R. Blackwood, Samuel Carels, C. J. Cooper, William H. Crow, Henry F. Hunt, Melbourne F. Middleton, George. S. F. Pfeiffer, Silas H. Quint and H. K. Stewart were in practice there.
The 1880 Census shows that the Bryant family was living at 619 South 5th Street. Dr. Kemper and his wife Caroline then had five children at home, Carrie, 19, Alice, 18, Annie, 17, Joseph, 15, and Edith, 10. Carrie was then working as a schoolteacher.
Dr. Kemper appears in the 1887-1888 Camden City Directory at 619 South 5th Street. He does not appear in the Camden Directories after that. Dr, Jackson Kemper Bryant died in Philadelphia PA on December 23, 1896. He was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden NJ. His wife passed away on June 15, 1900.
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE