DR. HORACE LEWIS ROSE was born in Port Republic, New Jersey in 1874.
Horace Rose moved to Camden in 1900. After receiving his doctorate from Jefferson Medical College in 1903 established a medical practice in North Camden. He made his home at 652 State Street. A general practitioner, he was affiliated with Bellevue Hospital at North 5th and Linden Streets, and with the Camden City Dispensary. Dr, Rose was a member of the American Medical Assocoation, the Camden County Medical Society, and was a member and past president of the Camden City Medical Society.
A loyal Republican, Dr. Rose became active in local politics around 1918. He was elected to the old City Council in 1921, and served until that body was replaced by the City Commission in 1923.
In 1906 Dr. Rose married Gertrude English. He died in May of 1925. He was survived by his wife and sons Sylvan Meryl and Francis Leland Rose. Francis Leland Rose, after graduating from Camden High School in 1933 and Amherst College in 1937, followed his father into medicine, receiving his M.D. from Jefferson Medical College in 1943.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE