Dr. Frederick


DR. FREDERICK WILLIAMSON MARCY was arrived in this world in Cold Springs on October 28, 1865, the eighth of nine children born to Dr. Virgil Maro Dow Marcy and his wife, the former Mary Bennett, his grandfather was also a physician. The Marcy family was living in Cape May in 1880. At home at that time were Dr. and Mrs. Marcy and five children between the ages of 30 and 15- Samuel, Alexander, Sarah, Alvin, and Frederick W. Marcy. A medical student, Joseph Squirrel, also resided with the family. Three other children, Jennie, Frederick A. and Martha, had died as children. 

Fredrick Marcy was a 1883 graduate of Cape May County High School. He followed his father and older brothers Samuel and Alexander into medicine, a younger brother, Alvin, went into law, the family also included a sister, Jennie. His studies took him to Philadelphia, graduating from the University of Pennsylvania in 1887 and from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1891. Following his uncle, Dr. Alexander Marcy, to Camden, he served his internship at Cooper Hospital, and remained affiliated with that hospital after going into practice. Dr. Marcy married Frances Van Buren around 1893. The couple was renting a home at 232 Penn Street when the Census was taken in 1900.

Dr. Marcy had moved his home and office to 539 Penn Street by 1906. A general practitioner, he had made the transition from horse and buggy to automobile by 1912, when his car was hit by a motorcycle driven by John Forenzo of Merchantville at Third and Federal Streets. Dr. Marcy served as a captain in the Medical Corps of the United States Army during World War I. Dr. Marcy had moved to 331 Penn Street, where he was living when the 1914 Camden City Directory was compiled.

 Dr. Marcy was a member of the Camden County medical Society, the Camden City Medical Society, the American Medical Association, and the Cooper Medical Club.

Dr. Frederick W. Marcy passed away in 1928. Among his survivors was his first cousin, Dr. John W. Marcy, the son of his uncle Sr. Alexander Marcy, who practiced in Camden for many years.


October 17, 1928