Dr. Dowling

DR. DOWLING BENJAMIN was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1849. He studied under Dr. James Ridge and Dr. D. Hayes Agnew before graduating with his doctorate from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in 1877. By 1880 he had come to Camden with his wife, the former Sarah Cooper White, and began practicing medicine. The Benjamins made there home through at least 1890 at 305 Stevens Street. They subsequently moved to 215 Cooper Street where they remained until Mrs. Benjamin's passing in the mid 1920s. 1877.

Dr. Benjamin's practice centered on surgery. On August 12, 1887 Cooper Hospital was dedicated, Dr. Benjamin being on of the original staff surgeons. The four original attending physicians were Dr. Pancoast, Dr. H. Genet Taylor, Dr. Alexander M. Mecray, and Dr. William A. Davis. The surgeons were Doctors E.L.B. Godfrey, O.P. Cross, Dowling Benjamin and J.F. Walsh, with Dr. Joseph H. Willis as the original pathologist and Dr. Harry B. Jarrett serving as the first Resident Physician. Dr. Benjamin was later a trustee of Cooper Hospital. Other positions included work as a physician at the Camden City Dispensary, and as an Assistant Physician at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital's Department of Nervous Diseases. 

Dr. Benjamin was a member of the Camden County Medical Society, and served as the President of that organization in 1884. He also was a member of the Camden City Medial Society, the American Medical Association, the New Jersey State Board of Health, the Cooper Club, and was a member and at one time President of the New Jersey State Sanitary Association. 

Dr. Benjamin held teaching appointments at the Medico-
Chirurgical College and Hospital of Philadelphia and at the New Jersey Training School for Nurses. He served his country as a Major and Assistant Surgeon of the Sixth Regiment, New Jersey National Guard for several years, and was with the unit during the Spanish-American War. Dr. Levi Hirst, who was still studying medicine, served under Dr. Benjamin as a hospital steward prior to receiving his doctorate in 1894. 

Dr. Benjamin's place in the annals of American medicine are beyond dispute. He was instrumental in proving diseases were caused by germs, introduced antiseptics five years before any Philadelphia physician began using them, was the first doctor in Camden to use X-ray equipment and to drive an automobile. He also was instrumental in New Jersey's testing and licensing physicians. 

Dr. Benjamin led the campaign to get the city to develop an artesian well-based water supply, which is still in use today. The use of this system ended the typhoid fever epidemics which had plagued Camden throughout the 1800s. He also personally convinced Andrew Carnegie to donate $100,000 to build Camden Free Public Library at Broadway and Line Street. 

After Mrs. Benjamin passed, Dr. Dowling Benjamin went to live with his daughter, Mrs. Sarah Marion Bibinghaus, at 3082 Federal street in East Camden. He died in October of 1930, survived by his daughters, Mrs. Sarah M. Bibinghaus and Mrs. Ada Deacon. Four other children, Stella, Helen, Dowling, and Paul, preceded him in death. 

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 14, 1884

Daniel Lynch - Mechanic Street - Dr. Dowling Benjamin
Camden Iron Works

New York Times
January 8, 1903

Philadelphia Inquirer
September 30, 1905

George Aultemus
Frank Devereaux
John R. Wolf
Wilfred M. Kaighn
A.J. Vansant
Frank W. Tressey
John Vanderslice
Dr. William I. Kelchner
Robert Garrison
George H. Watt
John E. Smith
Ludwig Winters
Martin J. Ewe
William S. Wilkins
Levi Sharp
Dr. William H. Kensinger
Walter Hubbs
George Martin
Thomas S. Armstrong
Huelings Mulvey
Josiah Kirkbride
Lewis Schimer
George H. Jones
Thomas Pooley
John J. Welsh
Alfred R. Taylor
Bernard Funfer
John Carver

Penrose W. Hirst - Charles H. Mills - James S. Pratt
Thomas B. Hall - William H. Jennings - Frank H. Burdsall - Clarence B. Groff
Dr. Dowling Benjamin - Joseph Nowrey

New York Times - July 22, 1912

Camden Morning Post - October 18, 1933



Cooper Street - Federal Street - Trimble Lodge No. 117, F. & A.M.
Dr. E.L.B. Godfrey - Clifford Deacon - Rev. John Pemberton - Rev. Edgar Miller
Andrew Carnegie - Camden Free Public Library - Cooper Hospital
HMS Augusta - Battle of Red Bank - General Light Horse Harry Lee
Centenary Tabernacle M.E. Church - St. George's M.E. Church

The Camden Free Public Library aka The Carnegie Library
Broadway & Line Street
The postmark on the card is April 28,1906

The Camden Free Public Library aka The Carnegie Library
Broadway & Line Street

The Camden Free Public Library aka The Carnegie Library
Broadway & Line Street