David
Griffiths


 

DAVID GRIFFITHS was born in England in July of 1845. He married around 1870. After studying music and graduating from the Wednesbury Conservatory, David Griffiths came to America in 1888 with his oldest son John. Wife Selina and the other children, David Jr., William, Frank, Frederick, Nellie, and Lillie, arrived the following year. 

David Griffiths  began teaching music in Camden in 1890. He directed the choirs at a number of Camden churches, including St. Paul's Episcopal, Third Baptist, Tabernacle Baptist, St. Stephens, and the Wiley Methodist Episcopal Church.

The Griffiths family appears in the 1900 Census, living at 912 Pine Street. By this time David Griffiths and all five Griffiths sons had become American citizens. The 1910 Census shows that 1910 David Griffiths made his home at 1032 Haddon Avenue. When the census was taken in 1920, he was still at that address. Interestingly enough, during that decade sons Frank and Frederick occupied 1036 and 1038 respectively, while William lived at 1042 Haddon Avenue. 

David Griffiths passed away at his Parkside residence, 1152 Princess Avenue, on June 7, 1921. He was survived by his wife Selina and his seven children- sons David Jr., William, John, Frank E., and Frederick; and daughters Mrs. Lillie Hewitt and Mrs. Nellie Maguire. 

After services conducted by Reverend E.A. Miller of Union Methodist Episcopal Church, David Griffiths was interred at Harleigh Cemetery in Camden.


Camden Courier or Camden Post-Telegram
June 8, 1921


RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE