M. Lane had moved to Camden's Middle Ward by 1870. The family at
that time was comprised of Charles and his wife Catherine,
children George, Charles, Alonzo, Albion, and Miriam. Charles
Lane's parents, James and Mary Lane were living with him.
James M. Lane
was quite involved with the Camden Fire Department and in local
politics. Both Charles M. Lane and younger brother Barton Lane
served briefly with the Camden Fire Department.
December 7, 1869 the Camden Fire Department went into service.
Charles Lane's older brother James M. Lane was one of the charter
members, serving as an extra man with the
Hook & Ladder Company.
October 9, 1872 younger brother Barton
Lane was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to serve as a
stoker with Engine Company 2 as a replacement for Henry
who had resigned. He was dismissed from this position on November
6, 1872 and was replaced by Joseph
Swing, who served for less than
a month before being replaced in turn by Thomas
April 8, 1877 Charles M. Lane was
appointed to the Camden Fire Department as an extra man with the
Hook & Ladder Company, taking the place of his brother James
M. Lane, who had been promoted to foreman of the Company, a
position similar to that of modern day Captain. Charles M. Lane
was removed from service on November 24 and was replaced by
Benjamin Cavanaugh. Charles M. Lane was living at 219 Royden
Street during his time with the Fire Department.
1878-1879 and 1879-1880 Camden City Directories both show Charles
M. Lane at 528 South
2nd Street. The
1880 Census shows Charles M. Lane, now a widower, and his four
sons still living at 528 South
2nd Street, the home of his younger brother Theophilus Lane, who
worked as a saddler. Of Charles Lane's sons, the three older boys
were working at a shoe factory, only the youngest, Albion, was
still in school.
leaving the fire department Charles M. Lane continued working as a
carpenter. He lived in South Camden for the rest of his days. The
1883-1884 and 1884-1885 City Directories show Charles M. Lane at
Street. By the following year he was living at 327 Line
1887-1888 City Directory was living at 506 South
3rd Street. In 1890 he was living at 429 Berkley
Street. City Directories from 1894 through 1897 shows Charles
Lane at 646 South
October 12, 1897 Charles M. Lane and his son responded to cries
for help coming from Line
Street. The were among the first on the scene in response to
the murders of Mrs. Emma Zane and her daughter, Sarah Shaw. The
third occupant of the house, Sarah Shaw's son Eli Shaw, was tried
for the double murder but was acquitted after a controversy filled
1898 City Directory states that his address was 527 South
5th Street, and he was still at that address in June of 1900
when the Census was taken. By 1906 he had moved to 533 Berkley
Street. This was his home until his passing on March 26, 1911.
Lane's sons Alonzo and Albion R.
Lane, were well known in Camden in later years operating a
butter and egg business. Albion Lane's grandson, Robert
C. Lane, was killed in action in North Africa in 1943.