HENRY SMITH served briefly with the Camden Fire Department in
the 1910s. Born on July 6, 1877, he was the eldest child of
Thomas and Annie Smith. The Smiths were living at 410 Liberty
Street when the census was taken in 1880. Thomas Smith was then
working for one of the railroad lines as a laborer.
Smith married shortly before the 1900 Census. The Census shows
the couple living at 482 Line Street in South Camden. Also
residing there were his father Thomas, then a widower, and
younger siblings William, 17, Amanda, 14, and Albert, 4. Charles
Smith then worked as a day laborer.
1910 Census shows Charles Smith and his wife of 10 years, Sarah,
living at 211 Channing Terrace. He was then working as an
electrician at the "street car barn", most likely the
facility on Newton Avenue. The Smith had two children at home,
Sarah, aged 9, and Charles Jr., aged 7. Another son, William,
was born around 1912.
Smith was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in March of
1914, replacing Edward
Finley, who had died on March 5, 1914. The
1914 Camden City Directory lists him as a fireman, living at 203
Stevens Street. By September of 1918 Charles Smith had left the
Fire Department. He may have, as had a number of other men, left
to take a higher paying job at the New York Shipbuilding
corporation shipyard. He was by the living at 322 Mickle
By January of 1920 the Smiths had moved to 503 South 6th
where he remained into the 1940s. Charles Smith was still
working at the shipyard at that time. He remained employed there
into the mid-1920s. The 1927 City Directory states his
occupation was conductor, and the 1929 edition gives it as
operator. The April 1930 Census states that we was working for
the City of Camden, although in what capacity is unclear.
E. Smith passed away on March 9, 1941 and was buried at Calvary
Cemetery in what was then Delaware Township. By the end of the
1930s Charles Smith was working for the Camden County Board of
Freeholders as the assistant custodian oft the County Courthouse on
Street and Market
Street. He was still employed in that position
when he registered for the draft in the spring of 1942. He
retired not long afterwards. Charles Smith was still living at 503
when the 1947 Camden City Directory was compiled.