CHARLES H. TRUITT was born in Camden in September of 1859 to James B. and Caroline Truitt. The family lived in the late 1870s and early 1889s at 222 Mickle Street. He began working for the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1876 as a fireman aboard tugboats on the Delaware. He worked for many years in the engine rooms of P.R.R. ferries crossing the river between Camden and Philadelphia, retiring in 1929 after 53 years with the company.
James Truitt married around 1884 and had moved to 649 South 3rd Street by 1887. By 1900 the Truitt family had moved to 112 North 22nd Street in East Camden. The family by this time included five children- Harry, Albert, Ida, Elsie, and Frank. Another son, Walter, would follow. By 1910 Charles H. Truitt had moved his family to 119 North 24th Street, where he would live until his passing on March 21, 1936.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE