H. REED, whose name on occasion is recorded as "Read",
was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in
May of 1874 to replace Charles M. Baldwin as an extra man with
the Hook & Ladder
Company. Shortly thereafter he was
reassigned to Engine Company
2, exchanging places with William Read, who had come into
the department at the same time. Both men served until April of
1876, when they were not re-appointed. Charles H. Reed was
reappointed in April of 1878 and served until March of 1882.
carpenter by trade, Charles H. Reed was
living at 422 Washington
Street in South Camden when he was appointed
to the Fire Department. By the time he was reappointed in May of
1875, he had moved to 421 Hartman
Street, where he lived to at
least 1878. When the 1879 City Directory was compiled, Charles
Reed had moved to 323 Hamilton
Street. Hamilton Street was
renamed Berkley Street in 1882.
H. Reed, was born in New Jersey in in the early 1840s. A sister,
Mary V. Reed, was born around 1846. When the Census was taken in
1850, his mother, Rebecca M. Reed, then 27, is living with a
blacksmith, Charles Carson, in Amwell, Hunterdon County, New
Jersey. By 1860 Charles and Rebecca have married, and two more
children have been born, Laura and William. The family was still
in Elizabeth at the time of the 1870 census.
stated above, Charles H. Reed was appointed to the Camden Fire
department in May of 1874. He was then living at 422 Washington
Street. He had moved to 421 Hartman
Street in 1882- PMC)
in South Camden by the spring of 1875. Charles H. Reed married
around this time. His wife Adelaide "Addie" Reed bore a
son, Redmond, in October of 1874, and another son Charles T. Reed,
in July of 1876. The family was still at 421 Hartman
Street in the
spring of 1878 but within a years time had moved to 323 Hamilton
Street, where the resided through the summer of 1880. A daughter,
Phoebe Adelaide Reed, was born in November of 1879. When the
census was taken in June of that year, Charles H. Reed's mother,
Mrs. Rebecca Carson, was living with him and his family.
H. Reed and family had moved to 319 Berkley Street by the time the
1883-1884 Camden City Directory was compiled. He was then working
as a carpenter for Joseph Wharton. The Reed family were still at
that address a year later. Not long afterwards, the family left
Camden and returned to Elizabeth, New Jersey. By 1890, Charles H.
Reed had died. Addie Reed was then running a boarding house at 26
West Grand Street in Elizabeth. Her three children and her mother
were living with her when the Census was taken.