Charles
A.
Todd


 

CHARLES A. TODD served with the Camden Fire Department on four different occasions between April of 1878 and February of 1922, retiring as a Captain. His brother, Robert Todd, served with the Fire Department for one year. First cousins Benjamin L. Kellum and Jacob W. Kellum had more extensive careers.

Charles A. Todd was first appointed to the Camden Fire Department on April 8, 1878 as an extra man, taking the place of John W. Beckett with Engine Company 2. He served until April of 1882, when he was replaced by James McCann. Charles A. Todd was reappointed in 1884, taking the place of William Turner, again as an extra man with Engine Company 2. He served until July of 1885, when 18 of the extra men were laid off as part of a departmental reorganization. He was appointed for a third time a year later, but was dropped in 1888. Charles A Todd was again reappointed in November of 1899. He served for over 22 years, finally retiring in February of 1922 at the rank of Captain.

Charles Todd was born on June 12, 1848 to Robert Todd and his wife, the former Rebecca Kellum. He was the sixth of eight children born to the Todds, two of whom died very young. When the Census was taken in 1860, the family was living in Camden's Middle Ward, where Robert Todd worked as a butcher. The seven living Todd children, Anna, Benjamin, Robert, Emma, Charles, Laura, and William range from 17 years to infancy. 

Charles A. Todd was living with his parents when the Census was taken in 1870. He had begun work as an apprentice iron moulder at one of the foundries in Camden, and would work at this trade when not employed as a fire fighter. On October 11, 1875 Charles A. Todd married Elizabeth Lomax. A daughter, Evaline L. Todd, was born on September 29, 1876. A son Elmer R. Todd, came on September 1, 1880.

As stated above, Charles A. Todd was appointed to the Fire Department in April of 1878. He was then living, according to Fire Department records, at 545 Roberts Street. The 1878-1879 City Directory, however, gives his address as 544 Roberts Street. Both sources are in agreement as to where he lived the following April, at 407 Bridge Avenue. By June of 1880, when the Census was next taken, Charles A. Todd and family had moved to 529 Morris Street in South Camden. Morris Street was renamed Washington Street in 1882. Sadly, Elizabeth Lomax Todd died on September 8, 1882.

Charles A. Todd does not appear again in Camden City Directories until 1884. He was by then living at 528 Washington Street, opposite his former home. His younger siblings, Laura and William Todd, also lived at that address. The 1885 Directory indicates that Laura was no longer there, but William still was and their widowed mother, Rebecca Kellum Todd, was living there as well. The 1887-1888 Directory shows Charles Todd still living at 528 Washington Street, and brother William having married and moved to 534 Washington Street with his bride, Rachel. Charles A. Todd remained at the Washington Street address as late as 1888. 

On July 7, 1887 Charles A. Todd married for the second time. His wife, the former Emma Jane Essick, would bear five children, four of whom would live to adulthood, Jane S. "Jennie", Charles E., Lloyd E., and Henry A. Todd. 

The 1890-1891 Directory shows Charles Todd at 308 Beckett Street. The 1894-1895 edition shows him at 316 Washington Street, working as a moulder at the R.D. Wood & Company foundry (later known as the Camden Iron Works) at Line Street and the Cooper Creek (Cooper River). By 1896 The Charles Todd family had moved to 428 Washington Street.

Elmer R. Todd died on May 2, 1898. As stated above, Charles A. Todd was reappointed tot he Camden Fire Department, this time not as an extra man but as a full time fire fighter, in November of 1899. The Todd family was still living at 428 Washington Street when the census was taken in 1900. Charles Todd's in-laws, Henry and Hester Essick, also lived there. The Todds and Essicks moved to 426 Washington Street by 1906 and were still at that address when the census was taken in April of 1910. By the end of June the Todds had moved to 618 South 4th Street.

On June 1, 1910 the Camden Fire Department placed Engine Company 7 into service at its new firehouse located at 1115 Kaighn Avenue. Charles A. Todd was the new company's first captain. He held that position until he retired at the end of February, 1922. Charles Watkins was promoted to fill his position with Engine Company 7.

By 1924 Charles A. Todd and family had from 618 South 4th Street to 1022 Spruce Street. He died on December 1, 1925, survived by his widow, Emma Todd, and children Jennie, Charles, Lloyd, and Henry. Emma Todd, Henry, and Jennie were still living at 1022 Spruce Street as late as 1929.


Philadelphia Inquirer - December 29, 1875
Charles Todd - James Cain - Thomas Lee
Morgan's Hall

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 17, 1886

Harry Curtis - Charles Todd - Thomas Walton
Isaac Shreeve - Isaac Lovett

Philadelphia Inquirer- November 24, 1899

Cooper B. Hatch - George W. Whyte
First Baptist Church - Edgar Bolton
John W. Vanhart - W. Scott Franklin
Benjamin Kellum - Charles Robinson
George B. Wade - Albert Jones
George Cox - Edward Weston
Samuel Peoples - Harry B. Middleton
Harry Burroughs - Robert W. Colkett
William G. Hillman - James E. Navin
Charles Todd - Daniel Smith
Peter B. Carter - Alfred Hayden
Henry Elliott - Josiah Sage
Samuel Price - William Rose
Charles Sturgis - Daniel Grimes
Harry Wagner - Augustus Kester
William Simpson

William Penn
Hook & Ladder Company No. 1

Right Click on Images to Download PDF of Article


Camden Fire Department - 1914 Chief Engineer's Report

Engine Company No. 7

Location 1115 Kaighn Avenue. Second-class Metropolitan Engine and Combination Chemical and Hose Wagon. Went into service July 1, 1910. Carries 900 feet of 2-1/2-inch hose. 

Rank Age Residence Salary
Charles A. Todd  Captain  52  618 S. Fourth Street  $1,140.00 
Joseph Sparks  Lieutenant 31  624 S. Fifth Street $960.00 
John A. Dold   Engineer 53 1301 Park Boulevard  $1,140.00
Elmer Burkett  Stoker 47  1009 Penn Street $1,020.00 
Roy Smith  Driver 30   607 Carman Street $ 960.00 
William Husinger Driver 37   741 Walnut Street $ 960.00 
George Boone  Hoseman 38   605 Mt. Vernon Street $ 960.00 
Sylvester McGrath  Hoseman 35 605 St. John Street $ 960.00 
Horace Cairns  Hoseman 42 621 Newton Avenue $1,020.00 


Philadelphia Inquirer - December 24, 1921

Charles Todd - Charles Watkin - Harry M. Chambers
Alfred Lassby
Engine Company 5 - Ladder Company 2
Engine Company 7

RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE