Allen Steven

ALLEN STEVEN "STEVE" BRISCOE, an all-around nice fellow who I used to see on a pretty regular basis when I worked at Krystal Lounge, was murdered by a teenaged thug in East Camden in January of 2012. A senseless death and the loss of a really good man.

WPVI-6 Action News * January 25, 2012

Prosecutor: Driver dies after punch by teen


CAMDEN, N.J. - JANUARY 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Murder charges have been filed against a Camden man who allegedly punched and fatally injured a 66-year-old motorist who had struck the man's pregnant teenage girlfriend with his truck.

Authorities said the victim, 66-year-old Allen Briscoe, was driving his pickup truck at a "low speed" when the accident occurred in Camden around 7:30 p.m. Monday.

The pregnant girl was knocked down but only suffered minor injuries.

Prosecutors say her boyfriend, 18-year-old Aleem Mayes, confronted Briscoe, who told him he had not seen the girl.

Then, according to investigators, Mayes punched Briscoe once in the face, knocking him to the ground and briefly leaving him unconscious.

"After realizing he had hit this young lady, he immediately stopped and exited his vehicle to see if she was okay. While that was happening he was punched in the face and knocked unconscious," said prosecutor Mary Alison Albright.

Within two hours Briscoe, a former school teacher and Vietnam veteran, was dead. Camden County prosecutors say an autopsy determined Briscoe suffered an aneurysm caused by blunt force trauma.

Prosecutors also say they have two witnesses and a confession.

On Wednesday Mayes, a football player and senior at Camden's Woodrow Wilson High School, appeared in court.

"This is a very strong case. We have eyewitnesses to the assault, both of whom know the defendant and we have the defendant's own videotaped admission," Albright said.

Mayes remains in jail on $750,000 cash bail.

"You got an 18-year-old who's just getting ready to start life and a 66-year-old man who retired less than a year ago, and his life shortened over tragedy," said Albert Briscoe, the victim's brother.

"We're saddened, we're hurt, but we'll also continued to pray for him," said Kimberly Gardner, Briscoe's niece, who was talking about Mayes. "He made a poor life choice.".

New York Daily News * January 25, 2012

Vietnam vet dies after being punched by 18-year-old during traffic confrontation

Written by

An 18-year-old New Jersey man is facing murder charges after cops say he killed an aging Vietnam vet with one punch during a traffic dust-up.

Allen Briscoe, 66, suffered a brain aneurysm caused by blunt force trauma and died at a south Jersey hospital on Monday night after falling and hitting his head during the confrontation Aleem Mayes, NBC Philadelphia reported.

Cops say Briscoe was driving to pick up his girlfriend near his home in East Camden at around 7:30 p.m. when he accidentally bumped Mayes' pregnant girlfriend "at very low speed" with his black Ford F-150, cops say.

The 16-year-old girl was knocked to the ground, and Briscoe rushed out of the cab to help her, cops say.

Mayes began to argue with Briscoe, who told him that he didn't see the girl, cops say. Authorities did not release the girl's name because she is 16.

Mayes then decked Briscoe with one punch, causing him to fall and hit his head on the street, cops say.

Briscoe was in and out of consciousness when paramedics arrived, according to local reports.

He died at Cooper University Hospital at around 9 p.m., authorities said.

Mayes was arrested and charged with murder. He was scheduled to appear before a judge on Wednesday afternoon.

Briscoe's niece, Kimberly Gardner, told NBC that her uncle wouldn't have started any trouble after the accident and was trying to help the girl he hit.

"He was a very caring man," she said. "For him to lose his life in that manner around the corner, it's very devastating."

In a tragic turn, the Philadelphia Daily News reported that the former Campbell’s Soup employee and one-time substitute teacher's death came less than two years after his nephew, Keith Briscoe, was killed in a confrontation with police outside a convenience store in Winslow Township, N.J.

Keith Briscoe died of traumatic asphyxiation on May 3, 2010.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, he was hanging outside a Wawa convenience store that morning when a police officer ordered him to stop loitering and move along.

Briscoe, who was mentally ill, refused, and eventually ended up being manhandled by several policemen and civilians.

He died after the scuffle, and his death was ruled a homicide.

One of the cops charged in the case served a year of probation, the newspaper said.

Relatives said their uncle, affectionally nicknamed "Lord Allen," held the family together after Keith's death and the ensuing case.

"This is just another total devastation," Keith's sister, Sunny Briscoe, told the Philadelphia Daily News..

Camden Courier-Post * January 26, 2012

$750,000 bail set for Camden teen in murder case

Written by
Courier-Post Staff

Aleem Mayes Arraignment: 18-year old Aleem Mayes is arraigned on murder charges in the killing of Allen Briscoe at the Hall of Justice in Camden on Wednesday, January 25, 2012.

Aleem Mayes, 18, of the 2900 block of Berkley Street in East Camden, stood expressionless as the murder case against him was presented by Homicide Unit Section Chief Mary Alison Albright.

“Mr. Briscoe, in effect, got a death sentence for having a car accident,” Albright said. “This young man lost his temper, and a man died and he shouldn’t have died. No homicide should happen, but this is unbelievable.”

Bail for Mayes was set at $750,000 cash. Superior Court Judge Thomas Brown said Mayes is a potential danger to the community and a significant flight risk considering the strong case against him.

He remains in the Camden County Jail.

On Monday, Briscoe, 66, was driving a pickup truck on 30th Street near Alberta Woods Park around 7:30 p.m. when he accidentally struck Mayes’ 16-year-old pregnant girlfriend after his car had come to a stop at the intersection with Berkley Street. She was knocked to the ground and sustained what authorities described as “very minor” injuries.

Briscoe had stopped at the intersection and was reported to be driving at low speed when he struck the girl, who stepped into traffic wearing dark clothing.

“After realizing he hit this young lady, he immediately stopped his vehicle to make sure she was OK,” Albright said. “As that was happening, he was punched in the face and knocked unconscious.”

Briscoe was knocked out by the punch, was disoriented and could not remember the incident when police arrived. He died around 9 p.m. at Cooper University Hospital. The county medical examiner determined Briscoe died of an aneurysm from blunt force trauma.

Two witnesses confirmed the series of events that led to Briscoe’s death. Mayes, who does not have an attorney, confessed Monday night that he struck the Mitchell Street resident, authorities said.

“In a videotaped statement he admitted that he punched Mr. Briscoe in the face and did so because he was angry that Mr. Briscoe had struck his girlfriend,” Albright said.

During the arraignment, it was learned that Mayes was placed on probation in July on an aggravated assault charge. The arrest details were not made public, but a condition of his nine-month probation was that Mayes attend anger management classes.

“Obviously he learned nothing about anger management,” Albright told Judge Brown. “He is a danger to the community. … Had this defendant exercised one bit of self-control, I wouldn’t be talking to you.”

Authorities could not say whether Mayes attended the court-ordered anger management classes.

Some of Briscoe’s family — he was reported to be one of 13 children — sat quietly during the 10-minute hearing. His niece, Kimberly Gardner, remembered the retired substitute teacher, Campbell Soup employee and Vietnam veteran fondly for his generosity.

“In the summertime he and his wife would have a pool set up and any of the kids in the community could come, stop in and get in the pool and hang out for awhile,” Gardner said. “He was a very caring and generous person.”

Gardner said the family is obviously crushed by the events of the week. Briscoe will be laid to rest Saturday in Camden’s Harleigh Cemetery where his family and friends will pay tribute to him.

“Our family is also saddened that a young man has now ruined his life,” she said. “It’s becoming more and more prevalent in today’s society that these people are just not using good judgment. It’s very sad my uncle had to pass this way.”

She said they will pray for their loved one and for Mayes, even though he made a “bad life choice.”

“I’m saddened for his family because you have an 18-year-old that’s just about to start life and a man that just retired less than a year ago and his life is shortened,” younger brother Carlton Briscoe said.

“You have two lives lost, for what?” he asked. “For nothing.”

Mayes could have graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School this year. He played football in the fall, but his enrollment could not be confirmed.

Attempts to reach his family were not successful. On her Facebook page, Mayes’ mother mentioned the incident.

“To the family I am sorry. My son is sorry,” she wrote. “Lord give us all the strength to carry this cross where it leads to.”

Briscoe’s death comes less than two years after his nephew, 36-year-old Keith Briscoe, of Waterford, died as a result of traumatic asphyxia. That followed a scuffle with Winslow Township police, the manager of a convenience store and patrons outside a Wawa in Winslow in May 2010.

Officer Sean Richard pleaded guilty to simple assault in connection with the incident that caused Keith Briscoe’s death, which was ultimately ruled a homicide. Authorities ruled that Richard had illegally attempted to arrest Briscoe.

Camden Courier-Post * January 26, 2012

Allen Steven Briscoe

AGE: 66 • Camden

Allen Steven Briscoe age 66 of Camden passed away on January 23, 2012. He is survived by his loving wife Yolonda Briscoe. Service will be Sat at 11am at Kaighn Ave Baptist Church, 831 Kaighn Ave, Camden, NJ. Viewing will be 9AM-11AM. Interment will at Harleigh Cemetery.