JAMES ORLANDO JONES was born on December 5, 1915 in Camden, New Jersey, the child of George E. Jones and his wife, the former Susan Sweeney. The 1918-1919 Camden City Directory shows the family at 613 Linwood Street in North Camden. The family lived in January of 1920 at 916 Elm Street. There were 4 other children in the family, older siblings Georgianna, Myrtle, and Charles, as well as baby sister Grace Jones. George Jones passeed away in January of 1922. By the time the 1924 City Directory was compiled Susan Jones and her children had moved to 508 North 8th Street..

By 1930 the household consisted of James Jones, his mother, and sister Grace. They were then renting a home at 938 Fern Street.

James O. Jones married Doris Fitzgerald during the 1930s. They had six children, three boys and three girls. Sadly, a son, James O. Jones Jr. died in infancy in 1941.

The 1943 and the 1947 Camden City Directory lists James O. Jones and his wife Doris at 544 Bailey Street in North Camden. . He was working as a machinist at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyards when on August 19, 1944 he was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He reported for duty on April 21, 1944 with Ladder Company 1

The 1959 New Jersey Bell Telephone Directory shows James O. Jones at 707 Berkley Street. Fire Department records also indicate that he resided at one time or another at 416 North 2nd Street and 2927 Mickle Street

On November 28, 1957 James O. Jones was transferred to Ladder Company 3, based in East Camden at North 27th Street and Federal Street. On March 4, 1962 he was designated Chief's Aide. He served in that capacity until May 1, 1969 when he was promoted to Captain. He was subsequently assigned to Engine Company 1.

By 1969 James O. Jones had moved to 3214 Mitchell Street in East Camden. He was still living there as late as the fall of 1970.

On March 1, 1970 Captain Jones was assigned to Ladder Company 3, where he served for the next five years and two months.

James O. Jones retired on pension after having served for over 31 years with the Camden Fire Department on May 1, 1975. By October of 1977 he had moved out of the City of Camden, heading south for Florida.

Last a resident of Brooksville, Florida, James O. Jones passed away on January 26, 1996, survived by his wife Doris A. Jones, five children, and a number of grandchildren.



When the power went out that Tuesday night in January, we didn't think too much about it. What we didn't know was that Mother was trying to get in touch with us because Daddy was in the hospital. He had a stroke and was listed in critical condition. Carol finally got through to us on Wednesday evening. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep that night. I had to go to work and get the payroll run and pay the bills. We left for Florida as soon as I got home from work. It was one long night. We took turns driving and got to Brooksville about 9:00 Friday morning. Judy wanted to bring Daddy back to Missouri and take care of him. After sitting up with him all night, she realized he was gone. We went to the hospital right away. It was so hard on Mother to see Daddy hooked up to all those machines. He was unresponsive. Carol was a nurse and kept putting ice chips on Daddy's lips because he was so dry. She leaned over and whispered in his ear and said, "It was your heart Daddy, not the cancer." Jerry and Lorraine were on their way down from New Jersey with Debbie. Daddy died just an hour before they arrived. It was Daddy's choice to be cremated. We stayed in Florida until Sunday. There was no formal ceremony. The family gathered at the dining room table and shared memories of him.