Santo
DiMaggio


SANTO DI MAGGIO was born on July 18, 1918 to Mary and John DiMaggio. His parents had lived at 811 Clare Street in the summer of 1917 and were still there in the spring of 1918. By January of 1920 the DiMaggio family was making its home at 319 Beckett Street in South Camden. John DiMaggio operated a DiMaggio's Sunoco Service Station at 1458 Haddon Avenue in the late 1940s and in the 1950s had DiMaggio's Esso Service Station at 915 South 3rd Street. Besides Santo, the family included two younger brothers, John and Anthony.

Santo DiMaggio was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on January 13, 1951. He reported for duty three days later. Santo DiMaggio served with Engine Company 3 early in his career. Younger brother John DiMaggio also served with the Camden Fire Departmnet, retiring with the rank of Captain.

Santo DiMaggio passed away on September 28, 1973. 


Engine Company 3 and the 3rd Battalion in quarters, at 1813 Broadway, south of Ferry Avenue, South Camden. 1956.

Left to right, standing: Chief Joseph Guarino, Fireman John Chudzinski, Captain Edward Tyszko, Fireman Ernest Tartaglia, Fireman Santo DiMaggio; Kneeling: Fireman Adlebert Kirk, Fireman Angelo Borghero.


 


RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE