On April 23, 1877 Robert A. Gilmore was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department as an extra man with Engine Company 1, replacing Henry
Wagner. He served for one year, and was replaced by Samuel
A. Gilmore lived at 408 Mechanic Street
through at least the beginning of 1883, with his mother
Mary. Robert Gilmore worked as a laborer
and and iron moulder during these years. He married around 1882,
and his wife Sallie gave him four children, two of whom were
living in 1900, John and Bertha.
1884-1885 City Directory shows Robert Gilmore and family at 220 Clinton
Street. He had begun work as a marine engineer for the W.P. Clyde
steamship line. The 1885 Directory indicates the family had moved to
1122 Broadway. By 1887 the Gilmores had again relocated, this time to
Street. The family was still listed at that address as late
as 1895. The Gilmore family moved 334 Mickle
Street prior to the compilation of the
1896 City Directory. They are not listed in the 1897 or 1898 editions.
the time the 1899 Camden
City Directory was being put together, Robert Gilmore and his family had
moved to 723 Mickle
Street. Robert Gilmore made this his home through at
least January of 1920. The 1900 Census shows Robert and Sallie Gilmore
living with their children John and Bertha. By 1910 John had married,
and his wife Elvira and their son Edward lived there. The 1920 Census
shows that John Gilmore and his family were no longer at 723 Mickle
Street, just Robert, Sallie and Bertha Gilmore at the address.
A. Gilmore died not long after the 1920 Census. His widow and daughter
Bertha were living at 580 Benson Street when the 1924 Camden City
Directory was compiled.