Henry B. Wilson Sr. represented the south ward in City Council for a number of years. During
the term of President Rutherford B. Hayes, from 1877 to 1881, he was postmaster of Camden City. He was also a member of the
Board of Education and was a second term member of the Commission of
Public Instruction, the precursor of the city Board of Education, at the
time of his death. A few years after his passing the newly-built H.
Elementary School, at South 9th and Florence Streets, was named in
was probably more prominent in business circles than in
politics. He was one of the founders, and one-time vice-president of the
Camden National Bank; president and director of the Camden Fire
Insurance Association; had an active interest in church work and was a
senior warden of St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church for nearly a
Wilson family made its home in the 1870s and for most of the 1880s at
339 Mount Vernon
Street. Late in 1889 or early in 1890 the family moved to 345 Mount Vernon
Street. Henry B.
Wilson Sr. died of blood poisoning on June 7, 1898 in his home at
345 Mount Vernon
Street. He was 70 years old. His wife along with daughter Elizabeth
and Philip Wilson were still living at 345 Mount Vernon
Street. when the 1900 Census was compiled. Philip Wilson was working
as a "paying teller". Mary Wilson would reside at 345 Mount
Vernon Street into the mid-1920s.
Wilson appears in the Camden City directories from 1887 through
1880-1891 as living with his parents and working as a clerk in a grocery
business in Philadelphia. He would soon come back to work in Camden, in
the banking industry. He also in time became president and general
manager of the Delaware River Discharging Company, located at 1157 South
Front Street, which was in the business of loading and unloading ships.
The location is interesting as his father had a cola and wood business
in the 1880s and 1890s at 1135 South front Street.
Wilson was a co-founder of Camden
Lodge 293 of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Other charter
members included John Foster,
Frank A. Ward, Charles L. Bowman,
A. Haines Lippincott,
Dr. J. F. Leavitt,
Fred W. George, T. L. Bear,
William M. Fithian, Everett Ackley, Fithian S. Simmons, Philip
Wilson, Paul E. Quinn, John N. Kadel, William G. Maguire, Frank
B. Sweeten and
Wilson married Emma Foulon around 1901. Her father, Charles Foulon
founded a bakery on Federal
Street in the early 1880s, which her
brother, also named Charles
Foulon, operated along with an ice cream parlor on Federal
Street for many years.
1906 City Directory and the 1910 Census shows Philip and Emma Wilson living at 932
The Wilsons were not blessed with children, but did have over 30 years
together before Emma's passing in 1933. Philip Wilson's occupation was
listed in the 1906 directory and in the census as "paying teller".
By 1914 the Wilsons had moved to the Helene Apartments on Cooper Street.
The City Directory for that year associates him with the discharging
Trust Company celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1916, Philip Wilson
was on its board of directors. This is interesting in that he had worked
for many years at a competing institution, the Camden
National Bank, of which his father was a co-founder. At
some point after 1916 Philip Wilson became president of the
Trust Company. The
Trust Company was absorbed by the
Camden Safe Deposit & Trust
Company in 1927. Philip Wilson in turn was named as
vice-president of the combined banks. In
1938 the Camden Safe Deposit & Trust Company shortened its name to that of
Trust. By 1948, the Camden
Trust had grown to be the largest bank in South Jersey, with branches in Camden, Gloucester City, Haddonfield, and
and Emma Wilson had moved to 230 West Summit Avenue,
Haddonfield, New Jersey by 1924. The
1920 Census shows them living at 310 Warwick Road, next door to lawyer J.
Russell Carrow and his wife Hilda. In
1930 Philip Wilson journeyed abroad. he returned to the United States by
way of St. Johns, Newfoundland aboard the S.S.
in New York on September 28, 1930. This appears to have been a business
trip, as Camden businessman Kirby Garwood accompanied him. The S.S.
Nerissa was torpedoed in April of 1941. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson vacationed
in California in 1932.
Foulon Wilson passed away in June of 1933 at Cooper Hospital after a
the death of his wife Emma, Philip Wilson continued to reside in
Haddonfield. In 1935 he took a trip to Havana, Cuba. He returned to the
United States at New York on November 24, 1935 aboard the steamship Quirigua
, then owned and operated by the United Fruit Company.
the end of 1936 Philip Wilson had moved to 230 West Summit Avenue in
Haddonfield. In the fall of that year Philip Wilson and Hilda Carrow
traveled to Europe together. They returned in December, sailing from
Villefranche, France on December 3 aboard the S.S. Rex, arriving in New
York on December 10.
1940 Hilda and J. Russell Carrow had divorced, and Philip Wilson and the former
Mrs. Carrow had married. The were living at 230 West Summit
Avenue in Haddonfield when the 1940
City Directories were compiled.
Wilson died on November 15, 1949 of prostate cancer. He was interred at
the Harleigh Mausoleum on November 18. His widow, lived at 310
Warwick Road from the 1950s through at least 1970. Hilda Donnell Wilson
died of cardiovascular disease on November 26, 1986 and was buried at
the Oakes Mausoleum at Harleigh Cemetery on December 1.
Wilson's brother, Admiral Henry B. Wilson
Jr., went on to fame as a naval officer.
The Admiral Wilson
Boulevard, leading from the Benjamin Franklin Bridge
to the Airport Circle in Pennsauken, is named in his honor, for his
service as the commander of the American fleet in French waters by the
First World War. Admiral Wilson convoyed troops and supplies to France
during the war without the loss of a single life.