Lillian
Campbell


 

LILLIAN CAMPBELL was born in England in 1883. She emigrated with her husband, John Campbell, in 1907. After living in Virginia for a few years, the Campbell family had moved to Camden NJ some time around 1910. John Campbell found work as a pipefitter at the New York Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard in Camden. At the time of the 1920 Census, the Campbell family owned a home at 662 Ferry Avenue. The famoly later moved to 866 Fairview Street. The mother of four sons and three daughters, Lillian Campbell became active in the PTA at the H.B. Wilson Elementary School at South 9th and Florence Street in Camden.

In April of 1933 Lillian Campbell was elected Treasurer of the H.B. Wilson Elementary School PTA. She would be elected to that position 18 more times. She also served for 20 years as a Republican member of the election board for the First District of Camden's Fourteenth Ward. 

Lillian Campbell collapsed while walking to a PTA meeting on April 25, 1950. She was pronounced dead on arrival at West Jersey Hospital. Lillian Campbell was bried at New Camden Cemetery on April 29, 1950. 


Camden Courier-Post - April 26, 1950

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE