April 5, 1882 John Hill was appointed to the Camden
Fire Department as an extra man with the Hook
and Ladder Company, taking the place of John
Fine. John Hill served for two years. He was
replaced by Amos Caverow in 1884. John Hill worked as a laborer
and later as a bricklayer during his two years with the Fire
1884-1885 Camden City Directory shows John Hill living on
"Ferry Avenue near
Fillmore" which quite possibly have
been the same home as they had occupied in previous years. If it
was a different building, it was certainly within a stones throw.
The Hills are again listed here in the 1885 City Directory.
for 1887-1888, through 1892-1893 are inconclusive, as two or more
John Hills are listed, often both in South Camden, but none in the
same neighborhood as were the family had lived in 1885.
1893-1894 City Directory, however, lists Mary E. Hill at 257
Chestnut Street, as the widow of John Hill. She and her children
moved to 1221 Locust by the end of 1894, and from 1896 through
1900 lived at 309 Sycamore