H. Sutton was born James H. Suthel around 1846 in Delaware to John and
Welty Suthel. The family, which included older sister Martha and younger
brother John W. Suthel, had relocated to Camden, New Jersey by 1860.
John Suthel supported his family working as a carpenter.
Suthel served in the Union's armed forces during the Civil War,
according to the 1890 Veteran's Census. Unfortunately, details as to his
service are not listed in the Census sheets, nor did he draw a Civil War
pension which would also provide that information. What does seem clear
is that he became involved as a volunteer firefighter in Camden during
On September 2, 1869 City Council enacted a municipal
ordinance creating a paid fire department. It provided for the annual
appointment of five Fire Commissioners, one Chief Marshal (Chief of
and two Assistant Marshals. The City was also divided into two fire
districts. The boundary line ran east and west, starting at Bridge
Avenue and following the tracks of the Camden and Amboy Railroad to
the city limits. District 1 was south of this line and District 2 was
north. The commissioners also appointed the firemen who were
scheduled to work six 24 hour tours per week. William
Abels, from the
Weccacoe Hose Company No. 2 was appointed Chief Marshal with William
J. Mines, from the Independence Fire Company No. 3 as Assistant Marshal
for the 1st District, and William H. Shearman as the Assistant Marshal
for the 2nd District. Abels
had served with the volunteer fire
departments of Philadelphia, Mobile, Alabama and Camden for sixteen
years prior to his appointment as Chief of the paid force.
November 10, 1869 City Council purchased the Independence Firehouse,
the three-story brick building at 409 Pine
Street, for $4500. The
building was designated to serve as quarters for Engine Company 1
the 1st District. On October 29, 1869 City Council authorized
construction of a two-story brick building on the northwest corner of Fifth and
Streets as quarters for the 2nd District. On November
25th the Fire Commissioners signed a contract with M.N. Dubois in the
amount of $3100 to erect this structure. The 2nd District would share
these quarters with
Engine Company 2 and the Hook
& Ladder Company
and the facility would also serve as department headquarters
for the new paid force. The original contract remains part of the
Camden County Historical Society collection.
Engine Company 2 with 1869 Silsby Hose Cart. Photo Circa 1890. Note badges
upon derby hats worn by Fire Fighters.
Amoskeag second class, double pump, straight frame steam engines were
purchased at a cost of $4250 each. Two Silsby two wheel hose carts,
each of which carried 1000 feet of hose, were another $550 each and
the hook & ladder, built by Schanz and Brother of Philadelphia was
$900. Each engine company received a steam engine and hose cart.
Amoskeag serial #318 went to Engine Company 1, and serial #319 to
Engine Company 2. The Fire Commission also secured the services of the
Weccacoe and Independence steamers in case of fire prior to delivery
of the new apparatus. Alfred McCully of Camden made the harnesses for
the horses. Camden's Twoes & Jones made the overcoats for the new
firemen and a Mr. Morley, also of Camden, supplied the caps and belts
which were manufactured by the Migeod Company of Philadelphia. The new
members were also issued badges.
is the earliest known photo of fire headquarters on the northwest
corner of Fifth and
Streets. Originally built in 1869, the
building shows signs of wear some twenty years later. Note the
weathervane shaped like a fireman's speaking trumpet atop the tower.
Also, the fire alarm bell is pictured to the left of the telegraph
pole above the rooftop. The bell was removed from the building once
the fire alarm telegraph system was expanded and in good working
maker's plate once was attached to a harness made by A. McCully &
Sons, 22 Market Street, Camden, New Jersey. This firm provided the
first harnesses for the paid fire department in 1869.
worn by the marshals, engineers, stokers and engine drivers bore the
initial letter of their respective positions and their district
number. The tillerman and his driver used the number "3" to
accompany their initial letter. The extra men of the 1st District
were assigned badges 1-10; 2nd District badges were numbered 11-20 and
the extra men of the hook & ladder wore numbers 21-30.
the Fire Commission intended to begin operation of the paid department
on November 20, 1869, the companies did not actually enter service
until December 7th at 6 P.M. because the new apparatus and buildings
were not ready. The new apparatus was not tried (tested) until
new members of the paid force were:
first style of breast badge worn by members of the career department
in the City of Camden. 1869. (Courtesy of the C.C.H.S. Collection).
Sutton was removed from service with the Camden Fire
Department on April 3, 1870.
Directories and Census records show James Sutton living at 321 Arch
Street from 1878-1879 through 1884-1885. He was working as a laborer
in the 1878-1879 edition, then worked as a carpenter and as a ship's
carpenter. He next appears in the 1890-1891 Directory living and
working at 451 South
2nd Street, his brother John W. Sutton's bar. This arrangement
continued through at least 1894. He moved to 136 Arch
Street for a time, when he tended bar for Wilhelmina Geist, the
corner of North
2nd and Arch
Street. The 1897 Directory states that he had moved back to his
brother's bar at 451 South
2nd Street. He does not appear in the 1898 and 1899 City
Directories, nor does he appear in Camden in the 1900 Census.
H. Sutton died in Washington, DC on April 24, 1910. He was brought back
to Camden fir burial.
Sutton's younger brother, born John
W. Suthel, also adopted the Sutton surname. He served with the
Camden Fire Department in 1876 and 1877 and from 1882 through 1884. John
W. Suthel, better known as John
W. Sutton continued to operate and own bars in Camden through at
least 1931, lastly a bar best-known as the Century
Bar at 28 Haddon
Avenue, which he acquired in the late 1900s and that his family held
ownership of into the late 1940s.