James
Lukens
Anderson


 

JAMES LUKENS ANDERSON came to Camden from Philadelphia in 1887. The 1890-1891 states that he was lodging at 303 Stevens Street at the time of compilation. He had married Carrie Stow, of Camden in 1885, their son William was born the following year. In 1902 he established his own real estate business, and was instrumental in developing many of the suburban towns in Camden County. At the time of the 1901 Census Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were living 400 South 3rd Street, which was the home of brother-in-law Harry Stow, a sergeant with the Camden Police Department. The Anderson family moved to 38 Kings Highway in what was then Center Township (present-day Mount Ephraim) during the 1910s, and were living there at the time of the 1920 Census. His wife passed away in 1922, and by 1924 James Lukens Anderson was living in Haddon Heights NJ. He appears to have passed away prior to April of 1930.


From
South Jersey: A History 1624-1924

JAMES LUKENS ANDERSON, of Camden, well known as a realtor who has devoted himself to the building up of fine residential districts in South Jersey, is the son of James Lukens and Marcella (Stickney) Anderson, the father a Philadelphia physician. Dr. Anderson was born in New Jersey, studied medicine in Philadelphia, and for a short time practiced in Salem, New Jersey, after which he returned to Philadelphia and conducted a successful practice there for the remainder of his life. During the Civil War he served as surgeon-major in the Union Army. Dr. Andersen's father, the grandfather of James Lukens Anderson, was a Quaker professor, and made his home in Rahway.

James Lukens Anderson was born at Philadelphia, July, 18, 1864, and was educated in the Philadelphia public schools. He was engaged in business in Philadelphia, but in 1887 moved to Camden and made his home there, continuing to work in the larger city. Gradually he became interested in the building up of South Jersey suburbs, and in 1902 established his own real estate office in Camden, since that time devoting himself almost entirely to the development of the various suburbs and boroughs in the vicinity of Camden, some of which are known as extremely beautiful and exclusive residential districts. Mr. Anderson is known as the first sub-division real estate operator in Camden County; and among the sections which he has been most active in promoting are Laurel Springs, Mount Ephraim, West Collingswood, and certain districts of Fairview. In 1924 the business was incorporated as J. Lukens & Company. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Camden Chamber of Commerce, the Camden County Real Estate Board, and the State and National associations of Real Estate Boards. He has been very successful as a realtor.

Mr. Anderson married (first) on September 30, 1885, Carrie C. Stow, who died in January, 1922; (second) Willa D. Wright. By his first marriage Mr. Anderson has one son, William Stow Anderson, born November 8, 1886. Mr. Anderson makes his home in Haddon Heights, where he has a fine residence.


RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE