JACOB ADAMS CANNING was a shoemaker who moved to Camden in around 1890 after having lived in the Beverly, New Jersey area since at least 1860.
Jacob Adams Canning was born in Mt. Holly, New Jersey on May 28, 1837. According to a page from his diary he was the only son. The 1900 Census states that he was married for 42 years to his wife, the former Mary J. Hill. Their were eleven children born of this marriage. Their first child was Emma born July 26, 1860 in Beverly, NJ. Then came Edith J. Canning, born 1861 in Beverly, NJ. She married August 8, 1880 to Charles Brock Marter in Bristol, Pennsylvania and she died on February 18, 1904 in Trenton, New Jersey. The third child, George Canning, was born 1865 in Beverly. He worked in "cordage", that is in rope, in the 1880 Census as a 15 year old. He died December 20, 1884 at the age of 19 years. Ida Canning was born in 1868. The fifth child, Mary E. Canning was born 1868. She married Charles Bradford in 1893. They had three children, Marion C. Vera, and Charles. Ida and Mary may have been twins. Three more daughters followed, Anna Laura in December of 1869, Florence in 1871, and Elizabeth, born in 1873. Baby Anna Laura passed away in October of 1870. Another daughter, Cora Canning was born January 22, 1875. She was living with her sister, Mary E. Canning Bradford, when the 1900 census was taken. A second son, Arthur Canning, was born on Dec ember 24, 1879 in Beverly. He married Mary E. Palmer on July 24, 1901 in Camden, NJ. Arthur died July 9. in Clementon, NJ. Lastly, Berth Canning, born in New Jersey on September 26, 1884. She married Frank Denney. They later moved to Wilmington, Delaware. Mary J. Canning lived with them in her last years. She was buried at Silverbrook Cemetery & Memorial Park, 3300 Lancaster Avenue in Wilmington.
Jacob Adams Canning served in the Union Army during the Civil War. He served as Musician, specifically as a a drummer, with Company H, Twenty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment. He enlisted on July 5, 1861 and mustered out with his regiment on July 17, 1865.
The Twenty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment was led during the war by Colonels John K. Murphy, William Rickards Jr., Samuel M. Zulick, and George E. Johnson, with Michael Scott, Samuel M. Zulick, Jesse R. Millison, George E. Johnson, and Robert P. Dechert serving as Majors. The 29th, recruited at Philadelphia, was mustered in at Philadelphia in July, 1861, for three years, and reenlisted as a veteran regiment. Its total strength was 2,517, of whom 147 were killed or died of wounds.
After mustering in, the Twenty-ninth moved to Harper's Ferry on August 3 and was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Division of General Banks' Army, encamped in Pleasant Valley, went into winter quarters at Frederick, but remained there only one night, when it was again ordered on the march, and on February 26, 1862, reached Winchester where a skirmish ensued in which Colonel Murphy was captured. It was present at the battles of Cedar Mountain and Antietam. The Twenty-ninth, was ordered to Fredericksburg in January, 1863, but was obliged to halt at Stafford Court House, where it remained until the end of April. It was then assigned to the Second brigade, Second division, Twelfth corps, with which it participated in the Chancellorsville campaign and the battle of Gettysburg. On September 23, 1863, the regiment was ordered west and reached Murfreesboro, Tennessee on October 5. The troops conducted themselves heroically at the battles of Wauhatchie, Lookout Mountain and Ringgold and through all the hard service of the army on its way to Atlanta, remaining with the army of General Sherman until the end, and were mustered out near Alexandria, Virginia on July 17, 1865.
After the war Jacob Canning returned to his wife and children in Beverly. The Cannings were living in Beverly when the 1870 Census was taken. Daughters Florence and Elizabeth were born in nearby Delanco, but by the time of the 1880 Census the family had returned to Beverly. The 1880 states the family then consisted of Jacob and Mary, with children Edith, George, Ida, Mary, Florence, Elizabeth, Cora, and Arthur. Mary J. Canning's uncle, Thomas Foster, was also living with them.
Jacob Canning filed for his invalid's pension on January 15, 1883. The Veteran's Census of 1890 stated that he was suffering from rheumatism and had lost his right eye. By this time he had moved to 934 Beach Street in North Camden.
Jacob Canning first appears in Camden city directories in 1890. The Directory for 1890 says he was working as a shoemaker in Philadelphia, which makes sense as he lived quite near the Vine Street Ferry terminal. The 1891 Directory lists him at 807 Elm Street, working for a Thomas McCarrick. He was still at that address in 1892 and 1893. The 1892 and 1894 Directories indicate that he had a shoemaker shop at 523 Elm Street, and that he was now making his home at Second and Cambridge Avenues in the Pavonia section of Stockton. When Stockton was annexed by Camden in 1899, Second was renamed Pierce Avenue.
The 1895 Directory show Jacob Canning's his home and shop at 618 North 5th Street. Jacob Canning next appears in City Directories in 1899, at 640 North 8th Street. The 1900 and 1901 editions have him at 2940 Westfield Avenue, as does the 1900 Census sheet. Eight of the eleven children were still alive at the time of the Census. The 1902 and 1903 Directories directories show him at 28 South 36th Street, working as a commission merchant. The 1905 City Directory lists him at 57 State Street in North Camden. Also listed at that address was a Bertha Canning, who worked as a necktie maker.
Jacob A.canning died of "heart disease" on March 14, 1905. He was buried in the Soldier's section, grave 14, row 2 of New Camden Cemetery.
RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE
RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE