C. Randolph was born in New Jersey in January of 1843 to Edward
E. and Rebecca P. Randolph. The family, which included younger
brother William, was living in Camden's South Ward when the 1850
Census was taken. Edward E. Randolph was working as a house
carpenter. The family was still in the South Ward at the time of
the 1860 Census. Isaac Randolph was working as an apprentice
C. Randolph enlisted
in Company G, 12th New Jersey Infantry Regiment on September
Twelfth New Jersey Infantry was commanded by Colonels Robert C.
Johnson, J. Howard Willetts, and John Willian during its
term of service. This regiment was raised under the second call
of the president for 300,000 men, Robert C. Johnson, of
Salem, formerly major of the Fourth regiment (3 months'
men), being commissioned as colonel early in July, 1862.
Woodbury, Gloucester county, was selected as the
rendezvous, and on July 25 the first detachment of troops, about
950 men, was mustered into the U. S. service. Many of the
officers had already seen service in other regiments, but
comparatively few of the men were familiar with military
duties or requirements, though all entered cheerfully upon
the work of preparing for the duties before them.
September 7, 1862 the regiment left the state for Washington, but
at Baltimore was diverted from its course by Gen. Wool,
commanding that district, who ordered it to
proceed to Ellicott City, the county seat of Howard County,
Maryland, 15 miles from Baltimore on the line of the Baltimore
& Ohio railroad.
At Chancellorsville, on May 3, 1863,
the regiment received its first taste of actual warfare. It
behaved with great gallantry, though the loss was severe,
amounting to 179 in killed, wounded and missing. Although
under arms during the two succeeding days and nights, it
was not again engaged, and on the night of the 5th it
re-crossed the Rappahannock and proceeded to its old camp,
having in its first battle lost over one-tenth of its men. Soon
after reaching the field at Gettysburg on July 2, Company I was
sent out on the skirmish line, but the combat not yet being
opened, only two or three casualties were sustained. In the
afternoon a house and barn
standing about 200 yards west of the Emmitsburg road and
nearly equidistant from either army having been occupied as
a cover by
the Confederate sharpshooters, Companies B, H, E and G were sent
to dislodge them, which they did, capturing 6 commissioned
officers and 80 men, but with considerable loss, Captain Horsfall
of Company E, a brave officer, being killed, and Lieutenant
wounded. During the fearful infantry contest of the
day the regiment was actively engaged, but only lost 5 or 6
killed and 1 officer and 30 men wounded.
On October 14, when
Auburn mills, some 2 miles east of Warrenton, the
cavalry made an attack upon the corps of which the regiment
a part, evidently hoping to capture its train, but they
repulsed with loss and the corps continued its retreat
toward Centerville, the point which Lee was straining every nerve
to reach in advance of the Union troops. In the engagement at
Bristoe Station, which lasted for 3 or 4 hours, several men
of the Twelfth were wounded, Lieutenant Lowe, of Company G, being among the
number. In the skirmishes at Mine Run the regiment did not sustain any casualties, although under fire on several
occasions. In the affair at Morton's Ford, some 10 men of
regiment were wounded, but only 1 fatally.
At the battle
the Wilderness, although not engaged as a whole, the
suffered considerably, Lieutenant John M. Fogg, of Company H,
killed, while Lieutenant Frank M. Riley, of Company K, and several others were wounded. Two days later the regiment lost
heavily, Lieutenant Colonel Davis and Captains Chew and Potter being among
wounded. In the magnificent assault at Spottsylvania,
resulted in the capture of over 3,000 prisoners and some
guns, the Twelfth again suffered severely, Lieutenant Colonel Davis
instantly killed while bravely leading the regiment; Captain
M. Brooks and Lieutenant E. P. Phipps were severely wounded
were obliged to quit the service in consequence. In the
assault at Cold Harbor the loss of the regiment was
severe, Captain McCoomb, commanding the regiment, being mortally
by the explosion of a shell, which also killed or wounded several privates. Up to June 16 the total loss of the
in this memorable campaign had been some 250 killed, wounded
or missing- a large proportion of the wounded being officers.
From this time forward the regiment was in position at
points on the line, and in July it participated in the
and affair at Strawberry Plains and Deep Bottom, on the
side of the James. Thence, by a forced march, it returned
the Petersburg front, arriving in time to support the
at the explosion of the mine, July 30, though not actually engaged. It participated in the second movement to Deep
Bottom, charging the enemy's picket line under Captains Chew
Acton, and upon returning marched to the extreme left flank
the Army of the Potomac, whence it was marched to Reams' Station, on the Weldon railroad, where the 1st division of
corps had preceded it. In the severe action at the latter
place Lieutenant Colonel Thompson, commanding the regiment, was severely wounded and
Lieutenants Rich and Stratton were
After the action at Reams' station the regiment was in
positions along the Petersburg front, Fort Hell on the
Jerusalem plank road, Fort Morton, and at other points,
late in October, when it moved out and participated in the
action known as the battle of the Boydton road, where it lost
killed and 9 wounded, including Captain T. O. Slater. In the
winter of 1864-65 it took part in the various actions at
Hatcher's Run, where in one instance it charged across the
waist deep, and took the enemy's works, upon which its color
bearer, Ellwood Griscom, was the first to plant the
colors. It was present in the movements of the army
preceding the main assault on the Petersburg defenses; took part in
assault, under the command of Major Chew, and aided in the
various actions during Lee's retreat until his surrender.
returned, via Richmond, to Bailey's crossroads, in front
Washington, where in June, 1865, the old battalion of the
regiment was mustered out of service, and in July the
remainder of the regiment. Its total strength was 1,899, and it lost,
resignation 14, by discharge 171, by promotion 56, by
206, by death 261, by desertion 216, by dismissal 3, not
accounted for 29, mustered out, 943.
Randolph was among those who mustered out on June 4, 1865 at Munson's Hill,
Randolph returned to Camden and married. When the 1870 Census was
taken Isaac and Martha "Mattie" Randolph were living
with his parents and brother William in Camden's Middle Ward.
Isaac Randolph was working as a clerk in a box factory at the
stated above Isaac Randolph was appointed to the Camden Fire
Department in July of 1873. He was the living at 653 John Street,
which was later renamed Locust
Street. Four other Camden
firefighters of that era also lived in the 600 block of John
Street, William Gleason
646, James M. Lane at
644, John Vanstavern
at 647, and John W.
Streeper at 649.
1877 the Randolph family had moved to 225 Pine Street. Edward
Randolph had passed away, his widow lived with Isaac and his
family, as did brother William Randolph.
1880 Census shows Isaac and Martha Randolph living with their
children Franklin T., 10 and Clara, 8 months at 203 Hartman
Street, which was renamed Clinton Street in 1882. Isaac Randolph
was working as a sawyer. His brother William was living with them,
but had no occupation.
1883 City Directory shows that Isaac Randolph and family was still
living at Clinton Street. Involving himself in local politics,
Isaac Randolph served on the Board of Education in 1884 and 1885
1887 Isaac Randolph had moved to 526 South 2nd Street, where he
would make his home through 1906.
June 5, 1900 when the Census was taken, Isaac C. Randolph was
living at 526 South 2nd Street with his wife, Martha
"Mattie" Randolph. Of their five children, only one
was living. He was working as "box sawyer". His
brother William Randolph was living, he was not working and
passed away not long afterwards.
Randolph passed away in 1909, survived by his wife, son Frank T.
Randolph, and two grandchildren. His widow was approved for a
Civil War widow's pension on May 26, 1909. She was living at 200
Berkley Street when the 1910 Census was enumerated.
C. Randolph was a member of the William
B. Hatch Post No. 37, Grand Army of the Republic, as were
brother firefighters William
W. Mines, Alfred Ivins,
and Benjamin H. Connelly.