FRANKLIN "FRANK" BISHOP was born in Camden, New Jersey on September 11, 1894,
the youngest of three children born to Henry and Rebecca Bishop.
His father worked as a carpenter. The family lived at 918 Newton
Avenue when the Census was taken in 1900. The 1906 City director
shows the family at 313 Mechanic
Street. By 1910 they had moved
back to Newton
Avenue, taking up residence at 934 Newton
were still at that address in 1914. Irvin F. Bishop had by this
time gone to work as a driver by this time, most likely
horse-drawn wagons at this time. He would later drive hook and
ladder apparatus for the Camden Fire Department.
Federal Census taken on January 9, 1920 shows Irvin F. Bishop
working as a truck driver and living at 534 Mechanic
his wife Lillian and three children, Helen, Margaret, and
Edmond. He was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on August
25, 1920 and reported for duty on September 16, 1920 with
Ladder Company 2, quartered at 619 Kaighn
Avenue, where he would
serve for 33 years. On September 15, 1953 Irvin F. Bishop was
made Chief's Aide, a post he held until his retirement on
January 1, 1955.
1924 City Directory shows Irvin and Lillian Bishop at 519 Mechanic
Street. Things may have gone bad in the marriage, as
there is no mention of Lillian Bishop in the 1927 or 1929
Directories, or in the 1930 Census.
1927 Directory lists Irvin F. Bishop's address as 1108 South 4th
Street, while the 1929 Camden City Directory shows Irvin Bishop
living at 554 Haddon
Avenue. The April 1930 Census shows him
renting a home at 1126 Baring
Street. During the 1930s
Irvin F. Bishop had remarried and was living at 3073 Tuckahoe
Road in Fairview. They were still at that address as late as
1942. By 1947 he and wife Mabel had moved to 2771
North Constitution Road, also in Fairview.
May 21, 1942 Firemen Irvin Bishop and
Austin Marks of Ladder Company 2
rescued an unconscious woman from a burning building on Locust Street
Kaighn Avenue, South Camden.
Bishop retired from the Camden Fire Department on January 1,
1955. He was replaced in the Department by Kenneth