Howard
A.
Lewis


HOWARD ALEXANDER LEWIS was born in Camden, New Jersey on April 26, 1912 to Alexander Lewis and his wife, the former Margaret Reid. When the Census was taken in January of 1920 the Lewis family was residing at 449 Mechanic Street. Besides Howard and his parents, the family then included older sisters Edith and Dorothy and grandfather John Reid. Another brother, Roland, was born soon after the Census was enumerated. Alexander Lewis was then working as a custodian at one of Camden's public schools. Earl Cunningham and family lived next door, he would go on to a career with the Camden Police Department. A Camden city fire fighter, Richard Marter, lived a few doors away at 461 Mechanic Street, and after the Marter family left another Camden fireman, George C. Wade, moved in. Howard Lewis would in time become a Camden fireman himself.

The Lewis family was still at 449 Mechanic Street in April of 1930 when the Census was again taken. Alexander Lewis was also still working as a custodian at one of Camden's public schools. 

Howard A. Lewis was married when he was inducted into the United States Army in June of 1941. He reached the rank of Sergeant before receiving an honorable discharge. After the war, Howard Lewis returned to Camden. He was living at 449 Mechanic Street as late as 1947. 

Howard Lewis was appointed to the fire department on June 30, 1949 and reported for duty at Engine Company 3, 1815 Broadway, the next day. He was assigned to the post of District Chief's Aide on January 1, 1951 and for the most part served in that capacity for the rest of his career with the Camden Fire Department, in the 1st and 3rd Districts.

On August 25, 1962 Howard A. Lewis passed away. He was buried at Beverly National Cemetery in Beverly, New Jersey on August 29, 1962.


Engine Company 3 and the 3rd Battalion in quarters, Broadway & Ferry Avenue, South Camden. 1956.

Left to right, standing: Chief Edgar Ellender, Fireman George Wade, Fireman Howard Lewis, Captain Edward Michalak; Kneeling: Fireman George Torgun, Fireman Dominick Dalanni, Fireman Henry Keubler.


Director of Public Safety Edward Garrity presents
Chief of Department
Edward MacDowell with a municipal proclamation
Click on Image to Enlarge

Witnessing, from left: Fireman George Wade, Fireman Harrison MacNeir,
Fireman John Gaffney Sr., Fireman James Troutman, Fireman Ernest Tartaglia, Captain Allen Hess, Fireman John Yates, District Chief Harry Wagner (obscured), District Chief Edward Michalak, Fireman Dominick Dalanni, Fireman Howard Lewis, Fireman Henry Keubler


In the staff office at Fire Headquarters (kneeling from left) Fireman Ernest Tartaglia, Fireman Howard Lewis, Fireman Harrison MacNeir; (standing from left) Captain Allen Hess, Fireman Dominic Dalanni, Fireman Henry Keubler, Chief Harry Wagner, Fireman James Troutman, Chief Edward Michalak, Fireman James Smith, Chief Edward MacDowell, Fireman John Yates, and Fireman George Wade. - 1961




 
 

RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE