Frank
Stockton


 

FRANK STOCKTON was born in Camden, New Jersey on November 26 of 1882 to John A. Stockton and his wife, the former Ruth A. Jordan, of 538 South 5th Street. This was the home of his grandfather, Richard Stockton. The family had lived at that address since at least 1867. 

Frank Stockton was baptized at the Third Methodist Episcopal Church on April 25, 1883.

At a special meeting of the City's Fire Committee held on July 7, 1885 the Camden Fire Department was reorganized. Each engine company added a permanent foreman and two hosemen; the ladder company added two laddermen for a total of eight new full-time firemen.The new foremen were John Stockton, Engine Company 1 and Henry Grosscup, Engine Company 2. The reorganization became effective on August 1st and the foremen were given charge of their respective units at an annual salary of $720. In the mid-1890s John A.  Stockton also partnered with Harry Frebe in a cigar store at 539 South 5th Street

Frank Stockton did not have an occupation listed in the 1900 Census. The 1901 City Directory shows him working as a machinist, a trade he followed through the compilation of the 1906 Directory. Sometime between 1906 and 1908 Frank Stockton joined his father as a member of the Camden Fire Department. He served with Engine Company 1 at 409 Pine Street through at least 1912. Sadly, Frank Stockton passed on away on April 11, 1914. He was buried at Evergreen Cemetery. 

John A. Stockton was serving as Deputy Chief of the Camden Fire Department in May of 1914 after Chief Charles Worthington was killed in the line duty while fighting a fire at  the the Camden Electroplating Company at Delaware Avenue and George Street, near the Pennsylvania Railroad Ferry in the center of Camden. In the wake of Chief Worthington's death, John A. Stockton was appointed Chief of the Camden Fire Department in May of 1914. While serving in this capacity, there was one major conflagration in the city of Camden.  

On July 29th of 1915, after a career that spanned four decades, Chief John A. Stockton announced his retirement, effective October 1st. He was succeeded as Chief by Peter B. Carter

John and Ruth Stockton were both still living at 538 South 5th Street in January of 1920. Chief Stockton died in 1927. His wife continued to reside at the home on South 5th Street until her passing in February of 1938.


Philadelphia Inquirer * March 15, 1904

Philip Schmitz - Robert Wieshing - Harry Martin - Frank Stockton
 
John A. Stockton - South 3rd  Street - Kaighn Avenue


Philadelphia Inquirer - April 11, 1914

John Stockton - Frank Stockton -South 5th Street  

RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE