Frank
Frost



FRANK FROST was born in Camden, New Jersey on March 17, 1879 to George Frost and the former Margaret Smith. His family had come to Camden in the mid-1850s and were quite active in civic and business affairs in the young city of Camden. 

George Frost was the son of Andrew and Christiana Frost, both of whom were born in what is now Germany. The family name was originally Fraust, and his parents and siblings went by that name into the 1870s. Not long after the birth of George Frost's older brother Henry in 1839 his parents came to the United States with with him and his older brother William. They first settled in Pennsylvania, where a thirds son, Charles Frost, was born around 1843. Two more sons came to the Frost family, Frederick in 1848 and Lewis in 1852, before the family came to New Jersey, where, in May of 1853, George Frost, was born. When the 1860 Census was taken, the Frost family lived in Camden's South Ward, and another son, Franklin, had recently been born, and Edward would come in May of 1863. Andrew Frost worked as a tailor to support his family. The three oldest sons were working at the time of the 1860 Census. Henry Frost, then 21, was working as a blacksmith, brother William sold cigars, and brother Charles, then 17, was an apprentice at a coach works. 

George Frost was living with his parents and brothers Lewis, Frank, and Edward when the census was taken in 1870. He and Lewis were working as iron moulders.

Older brother Henry Frost was appointed to the Camden Fire Department as a replacement for J. Kelly Brown, who had resigned from service as an extra man with Engine Company 2, on October 9, 1872. Henry Frost was a blacksmith by trade. He was living at 112 Taylor Avenue during his time in service with the Camden Fire Department. Henry Frost was dismissed from his position on July 15, 1873 along with Bernard Dennis and Thomas Grapevine. This ended his involvement with the Camden Fire Department.

On April 8, 1877 George Frost was appointed to the Camden Fire Department to serve as an extra man with Engine Company 2, replacing Robert Todd. He had been working as a laborer and was 

making his home at 509 Division Street when initially appointed. Shortly after being reappointed in April of 1879, George Frost moved to 517 Division Street.

The 1880 Census lists George and Margaret "Maggie" Schmitt Frost at 517 Division Street with their two sons, Lewis, 2, and Frank Frost, 1. The family was back at 509 Division Street in 1881, then moved to 1026 Broadway, where they remained through at least 1885. A daughter, Elizabeth would be born in 1884. As he was an extra man with the Fire Department, George Frost listed his occupation as oilcloth printer. George Frost served with the Fire Department until April of 1882, when he was not re-appointed. He spent most of his remaining working days working in the oil cloth industry, for the Farr & Bailey Manufacturing Company.

By the spring of 1885 George Frost and family had moved to 1026 Broadway. The 1900 Census states that the Frost family lived at 1020 Broadway, and that George Frost was working as a color mixer at an oil cloth factory. Son Lewis would follow him into this trade. Georg Frost was still at 1020 Broadway when the 1906 Camden City Directory was compiled. Shortly afterwards, he moved to Westmont, New Jersey.

Frank Frost married Catherine Walsh in January of 1904. The young couple moved into a fully furnished home at 1023 Spruce Street, next door to his brother, Lewis, who lived at 1025 Spruce Street.

George Frost died suddenly, on June 15, 1909 and was buried at Harleigh Cemetery. His older brother Charles had also died unexpectedly in 1904. He and his family had been members of Ss. Peter & Paul Catholic Church on Spruce Street in Camden. Younger sister Elizabeth married Lloyd D. Kay shortly after the 1910 Census was enumerated.

Frank and Catherine Frost were childless when the 1910 Census was taken. They were living at 1023 Spruce Street in South Camden. Brother Lewis Frost, his wife Bertha and daughter Hazel lived next door at 1025 Spruce. Lewis Frost and his family moved to New Brunswick, New Jersey during the 1910s.

Frank Frost was still working as a motorcycle policeman in Camden as late as May 29, 1916. He is listed in the 1916 City Directory at 1023 Spruce Street, with his wife Catherine. His widowed mother, sister Elizabeth and brother-in-law Lloyd Kay were living at 956 Newton Avenue.

What happened in the life of Frank Frost after May 29, 1916 is not known. His wife Catherine may have passed away, or the couple may have separated. The 1917 City Directory shows Frank Frost living at 956 Newton Avenue, the home of his mother, and working as a clerk. Frank Frost was living at 956 Newton Avenue and working as machinist at the New York Shipbuilding Company shipyard when he registered for the draft in September of 1918. The 1918-1919 Camden City Directory shows him working as a clerk and living at the same address. Frank Frost does not appear in the 1920 Census or the 1920 City Directory, or any Camden directories thereafter.

Frank Frost apparently left Camden and New Jersey altogether. He was living in Philadelphia and working as a machinist when the Census was taken in January of 1920 and was still there as late as April, 1930. The 1930 Census indicates that he was unmarried, and was then living in the 900 block of Spruce Street. He later went to California, where his sister Elizabeth and her husband, Lloyd Kay, had gone to in the late 1910s. Frank Frost passed away in Los Angeles, California on January 18, 1940. He was survived by his sister, her husband and a nephew.

As stated above, Frank Frost's father and his uncle, Henry Frost, had both served as members of the Camden Fire Department in the early 1870s. An uncle through marriage, William Turner, was also a Camden Fire department member for two years in the early 1880s. 

Frank Frost's older brother, Lewis Frost, was well known in Camden at the turn of the century as a member of the Century Wheelmen athletic club. As stated above, he worked as a color mixer and moved out of Camden during the 1910s

Frank Frost's cousin, George W. Frost, the son of his uncle Frederick Frost, had a long career with the Camden Police Department, retiring as Chief of Police in the late 1940s. Another uncle, Charles A. Frost, was a successful businessman and a co-founder of what was generally known as Jenning's Sixth Regiment Band, which became something of a Camden institution for many years.


Philadelphia Inquirer - January 18, 1904
Frank Frost - Michael J. Walsh - St. Mary's Catholic Church

Philadelphia Inquirer
January 29, 1904

William Doyle
Elizabeth Frost Kay

 


Philadelphia Inquirer - June 20, 1909
George Frost - Improved Order of Red Men
Washington Circle No. 2, Brotherhood of the Union
Farr & Bailey Manufacturing Company

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 2, 1912
Frank Frost - Maurice Mines

Camden Post-Telegram * October 14, 1912
BOY'S BRUTAL MURDERER COLLAPSES
AT HEARING


...continued...
O. Glenn Stackhouse -
John Painter - Frank B. Frost
 
Jeff Kay - William T. Boyle
...continued...
Elisha Gravenor - Grace Presbyterian Church
Bertha Skillen - Bessie Skillen - Albert Ludlow - Joseph Wittick
...continued...
Thomas Sink - Abraham L. James - William Schregler 
Henry C. Moffett -
John Brothers - William C. Horner
Arthur Colsey - Anson Kelly - Robert T. Abbott
John H. Vickers - Frederick A. Finkelday - "Indian Bill" May
Eugene McCafferty
...continued...
...continued...
Dr. E.A.Y. Schellenger Sr. - John T. Potter
Elbridge B. McClong

Philadelphia Inquirer
December 23, 1912

Frank Frost - Henry W. Mines
of Complete Article 

Above: Camden Motorcycle Police - location unknown
around 1920 - at far left, Officer
Jeff Kay
Above: Early photo of Camden Motorcycle Police - 1910s
Charles "Jeff" Kay - Charles Laib - Frank Frost - Josiah Pedigree
Note that Officer Jeff Kay on far left in this photo
is also on far left in the picture above

Click on Image to Enlarge

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 21, 1913

Frank Frost - O. Glen Stackhouse
Haddon Avenue - George Vannatta

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 1, 1913
Frank Frost - O. Glen Stackhouse - Haddon Avenue

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 3, 1913
Frank Frost - O. Glen Stackhouse
Haddon Avenue - George Vannatta

Philadelphia Inquirer - December 12, 1913
Frank Frost - Edward S. Hyde - O. Glen Stackhouse - Haddon Avenue
Raymond Flint - Harry A. Stewart

 

Philadelphia Inquirer
June 1, 1914

 


William J. Kraft - Frank Frost - O. Glen Stackhouse

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 6, 1914

Frank Frost - Lansdowne Avenue - Haddon Avenue - John Swift

Philadelphia Inquirer - August 11, 1914

Frank Frost - O. Glen Stackhouse

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 14, 1914

Frank Frost

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 3, 1915

Frank Frost - O. Glen Stackhouse

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 12, 1915

Frank Frost - Broadway - Mt. Vernon Street
West Jersey Hospital

Philadelphia Inquirer - June 28, 1915
George R. Thompson Sr. - O. Glen Stackhouse
William McCormick - North 2nd Street

 

Philadelphia Inquirer
September 6, 1915

Frank Frost - William J. Kraft

 

Philadelphia Inquirer
October 12, 1915

Newton Avenue
Clement Dougherty
May Dougherty
Frank Frost

 


 

Philadelphia Inquirer - October 18, 1915
Frank Frost - O. Glen Stackhouse - Haddon Avenue

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 15, 1916
Andrew Cummiskey - Frederick Hahn - Frank Frost
North 27th Street - Howell Street - Broadway - Walnut Street

Philadelphia Inquirer - May 29, 1916
 

World War I Draft Card


RETURN TO CAMDEN'S INTERESTING PEOPLE PAGE

RETURN TO DVRBS.COM HOME PAGE